40 grain Nosler BT's in a Savage LRPV - headaches

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
nofun1
.204 Ruger Guns: costomized Remington 700

Re: 40 grain Nosler BT's in a Savage LRPV - headaches

Post by nofun1 »

the barrel is 1-12" .This thing shoots bug holes with 32 Vmax's I happen to have a lot of BTs so I was hoping they'd shoot.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I wonder if the 40 gr Nosler's need a faster twist barrel?
Small Calluver
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12

Post by Small Calluver »

This sounds exactly like the issues I am having with my Savage M 12 (1-12 twist barrel). It loves 30gr Bergers but anything heavier and its a mess. I am actually having Keyhole problems :mad: with the 35gr Bergers. I was thinking about rebarreling the gun, Shilen makes savage replacements that only need to be headspaced. Would a 1-10 twist help remedy these problems? It would be cheeper than a new gun.
nofun1

Post by nofun1 »

Where can you get prereamed Shilen barrels?
Small Calluver
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12

Post by Small Calluver »

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

$335 stainless match or $380 stainless select match
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Barrel swapping Savages. Careful fellas thats a very addictive but fun sport.

Per Shilens website they offer only 9 and 12 twist in .204" I'm not sure if they do custom twists. If they do it will drive the price up. $500.00+ or so.

My opinion a true 11 twist custom tube will shoot anything except the 50gn Berger. Haven't yet tried the 40 Noslers in my 11 twist but theres no reason to believe they will not do fairly well. 39bk's and 40 V-Max will easily shoot under .5moa with every powder I've tried and no tweaking done.
Its a McGowen 24" magnum contour. Saw it for sale at McGowens bargain bin. Someone ordered it and canceled. Price was right. Would make a great walking varminter tube.

You might want to look at Pac Nor for a quality custom tube all prefit and chambered for your Savages. They offer every twist imaginable in .204".

Theres also McGowen barrels making Sav prefits. I'm not totally enamored with whatever McGowen does to the crowns on thier barrels but they shoot well enough. My vote would still be for Pac-Nor.

Lothar Walther is another. Ferret 50 is an easy place to look at them online.
Douglas also.

I think thats it for prefits worth buying. Eabco and Adams and Bennett. Forget em,

Get the copper out of that Sav tube and it "may" come around. Maybe not, everyone makes a stinker now and again.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
nofun1

Post by nofun1 »

Good points a I appreciate the input. I am not ready to write off the barrel yet because it shoots 32s so well I am intrigued by a drop in barrel. I did get caught up in that with my Remingtons and rebarrelling became an obsession. I have some great shooters but I had to sell 2 kids and a kidney. (totally worth it) I have really been biased toward Krieger and Hart barrels. I have only had one Douglass and it was just OK but I had a hack smith install it, so I wont judge Douglas by it. I have had Pacnor's and found they used to be better than they are now. quality went down a little since Dad let He was old school and the son seems to be motivated more by profit. Maybe I am wrong just my opinion. Who do you guys like best for drop in Savage barrels? Have any of you had experience with Shillens wearing quicker than others?