Reloading Press

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Over-the-Hill
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mod. 77 Mk II Varmit

Reloading Press

Post by Over-the-Hill »

I think it's time for a new press. The one I have used for reloading my hunting ammo was bought in the 70's from Herter's. So, what are the recommendations for a press on which I can reliably load .204 ammo?
Thanks,
OtH
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Reloading Press

Post by BabaOriley »

1. How much can you spend? (Total for everything you'll need.)
2. How many cartridges would you want to load in a session.

These questions come from there being such a wide range of cost/precision/convenience available. Some steps in the process can't be hurried, but if you want to load 100+ in a single session, there are tools and equipment that make it much faster, while giving near the same precision. Figuring out what you think you really "need" vs what you (and we all) "want" will help match you up to the correct equipment for YOU.

It seems that just about any press on the market can create "reliable" ammo. Then it's just a matter of how accurate and convenient you want it.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Forster Co Ax would be the top of the list.

Every time you want to buy a rifle in a different caliber, you just saved $5-$7, because you don't have to buy a shell holder.

Captures ALL of the spent primers.

Die changes....about 5 seconds - as long as it takes you to open the box containing the next die you are going to use.

Die stays set.

Leverage? You want to talk about LEVERAGE! Lots of leverage, if needed. But, because of the compound angle used, the effort at the handle is minimal.
Over-the-Hill
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mod. 77 Mk II Varmit

Post by Over-the-Hill »

Some info to start with then. My main "passion" is trap shooting. When I started reloading shotgun shells, I started out with a $100 press and 4 presses later I have ended up with a progressive press that cost over $800. This small caliber rifle shooting is something new to me. I may never shoot anything but paper with this rifle and I know I will not be loading 10,000+ shells a year like I do for the shotguns. So I don't need a progessive press. However, I don't want to be be handicapped from the start with the wrong press like I did with the shotgun press. The Forester Co-Ax looks good. Are there any other recommendations?
Thanks,
OtH
xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

I started reloading for rifles in the summer of 2008. I was in your shoes when deciding which press to buy. I would check out the RCBS rockchucker. A veteran reloader told me about the RCBS products. He said for the price they are great for beginning reloaders. The kit that I bought was pretty inexpensive for what I got (I dont remember exactly, but I probably spent around 400 bucks. I dont know current prices from Midwayusa) and I only had to buy a trickler in order to start reloading. I love my press so far, it is very simple to use. Check these out and I hope this helps. Good luck with your buying process.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Two presses I really like are the $20 dollar Lee hand press and the RCBS Partner for $54 dollars buy one of each put your resize die in the RCBS press and your bullet seater in the Lee press. The RCBS Partner press is a very sturdy and compact press that is a joy to use. The Lee hand held press is amazing I have two of them and am thinking of getting a third. I have reloaded up to 7mm Mag with them with no problem. I take them on the road with me and to the range. My large turet press is out in the garage not being used any more. The RCBS Partner press is on a Frankfort Arsenal protable table witch is in the TV room and can be easly moved around or taken on my squirrel shooting trips. Spend your money on a good scale and powder dispenser.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I've been using the same RCBS Rockchucker since about 1973 - :D Keep the ram and frame free from fired primer residue, keep it lubricated, and they last a long time. I used an RCBS Jr press from 1964 to 1973 and it worked just as well, but the Rockchucker is better with my big hands. I also use the RCBS Pro 2000 Progressive for quantity production. It is a far better press than the Hornady LNL Progressive I retired, IMO.

The little Lee hand press is a goody, it allows me to size at the kitchen table while I watch TV (I don't allow electrical devices in the reloading room, except one overhead light). You can take it hunting or to a revolution and load anywhere.

The heaviest, most expensive press for reloading is a Walnut Hill press from RCE (http://www.rceco.com). It isn't a reloading press but a bullet swaging press adaptable to reloading. Runs about $450.00 with adapters. It can also swage just about any bullet you want from jacketed lead core to jacketed powdered core lead free. Swaging bullets is a kick (but tedious) and the results are better than anything you can buy in a box.

Of course there are Wilson hand dies and an arbor press for real precision, but an "O" press is still needed for case forming.

Otherwise, all the consumer presses are about the same and do a good job.