Powder Question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Bitman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Powder Question

Post by Bitman »

I've been reading allot of the older post, regarding loads using the 39 grain SBK.
It appears that allot of people are loading past max. with H4895 powder, but not as much with Benchmark.
H4895 is a slower burning powder. Is it easier to load over max. with a slower burning powder? Or I'm I reading more into this, than there is?
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: Powder Question

Post by Lenard »

Bitman, I cannot speak for the 204 loaders, but I like to know where I reach the maximum load. I have done it for decades. The powder companies genreally are conservative in their manuals and loads. The truth is from my perspective, is that we normally find some of the best accuracy near the higher pressures.

The 257 Roberts is a good example. Since there were many weaker actions laying around chambered for the cartridge, the loading companies generally keep pressures to 45K or less.

Each rifle has a different point pressure wise, where the maximum is reached.

Lenard
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Lenard.......I'd start low and work up for your rifle. Each and every rifle is different and "some" can go above the max charge with no problem. I'm right at 27.0 H-4895 W/ 39 sierras, 40 bergers and 40 hornady. I like the fill capability of H-4895 over Benchmark.......but Benchmark is still a good powder to try! I also belive that H-4895 is and extrem powder from Hodgdon and Benchmark is not.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Bitman

Post by Bitman »

Ray P wrote: I also belive that H-4895 is an extrem powder from Hodgdon and Benchmark is not.
Later
Ray P
Ray,
Could you please explain this. What do you mean by an extreme powder?
I'm currently trying both Benchmark and H-4895.
What about temperature sensitive powders. Working up a load in 50 degree temps, then going out west and shooting in 90 degree temps.
Thanks, Dave
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave: Many of Hodgen's powders are marked "Extreme", meaning they are no where near as temperature sensitive as 'regular' powders. These powders are considered ideal for shooting in the warmer temps such as PD shooting in the summer, especially if you've worked up the near max or max loads during cooler times of the year.

These Extreme powders are clearly marked on each can to identify them as such.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bitman

Post by Bitman »

Thanks Rick,

H-4895 would be just the powder I'm looking for then.
There's allot more to loading rifle shells, then low pressure shotgun shells. ;)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Ray P wrote:I also belive that H-4895 is and extrem powder from Hodgdon and Benchmark is not.
Later
not to get picky here, but Benchmark IS one of Hodgdons extreme powders. that is one reasons i chose it for my 204 with 32gr bullets
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Sorry!!! guy's should have read my Hodgdon manual 1st.
I stand corrected on Benchmark powder.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Frank

Post by Frank »

Benchmark is theee very best powder in my 204...

With 34(33?) Hornady & 39gr Sierra bullets. The 39gr sierra w/27grs of Benchmark is the most accurate of all in my rifle. RL10X comes a close 2nd with the 39gr but slightly less velocity.

H4895 would be a great powder if it didn't have so many flyers out of my rifle. I've tested numerous powders, dozens of loads w/hundreds of rounds & several diff bullets & for me Benchmark is the best powder & Sierra 39gr Bk the best bullet. Try it; you may be glad you did. ;)

Good Luck

Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Frank wrote:Benchmark is theee very best powder in my 204...

With 34(33?) Hornady & 39gr Sierra bullets. The 39gr sierra w/27grs of Benchmark is the most accurate of all in my rifle. RL10X comes a close 2nd with the 39gr but slightly less velocity.

H4895 would be a great powder if it didn't have so many flyers out of my rifle. I've tested numerous powders, dozens of loads w/hundreds of rounds & several diff bullets & for me Benchmark is the best powder & Sierra 39gr Bk the best bullet. Try it; you may be glad you did. ;)

Good Luck

Frank,

Thats the reason I don't use Varget. For me, in both 223 & 204 H4895 has done better than Varget. RL-15 is very accurate with less fliers but I don't know what the temp sensitivity level is, but man ... its good-stuff. I like Vihtavouri as well but again, I'm not aware of its temp sensitivity level.

Frank
Frank

Post by Frank »

Jim, that has been my experience also with Varget... A very good powder for sure, however, I always call it an "IFer" powder. "IF" it was slightly more accurate, with slightly more velocity it would be one of, if not the best out there. In other words, in every caliber I've tested it in I have always gotten a more velocity and accuracy with some other powder. It does do a good job though and is very consistent.

The RL powders have been extremely accurate in several calibers for me. RL15 is almost unbeatable in a 22-250. Almost! The only problem I have with any of the RL powders is, they seem to be too heat sensitive. But RL10X, RL15 & RL19 have all been extremely accurate in several calibers for me, such as the 204, 223, 22-250 & 300 win mag to name a few.

But gotta love that Benchmark (which is also the best in my 223 btw). LOL

Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC