REm 700 VL SS thumbhole Loads

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
buckeyeatc
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VL SS thumbhole

REm 700 VL SS thumbhole Loads

Post by buckeyeatc »

Just recieved a RockChucker Press and loading kit for Christmas, so that hopefully I can start reloading for my VLSS. Does anyone have any loads or suggestions on where to start with this gun? Mainly used for groundhogs and other assorted varmints.

Anyone have any suggestions on equipment to buy or not buy? I was planning on getting a digital scale, is this really neccessary? Or will the scale that came with the kit be adequate?

What type of brass have most of you been using?

I have so many questions I am not sure where to begin. I have been reading the ABCs of Reloading over the past couple of days.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: REm 700 VL SS thumbhole Loads

Post by greystone »

Stay with what you have for now and just start doing some reloading. As you learn you can add. I use Remington brass but spend quite some time prepping it for the first loading. Most of it is unnecessary but a consistency thing. I would recommend a 20 cal funnel tho. Sinclair sells a good one
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

Welcome NICE GUN, I have the REM 700 SPS Varmint 204 w/ bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40. Read the reloading section on tis forum and you well get alot of good info......Good Luck Hey its a money thing if you want the scale buy it, yes the scale will work for you. Reloading is patience and practice and DO IT CORRECTLY.......and FUN...a 20 cal funnel for sure. I use Winchester Brass, primers, 40 gr Hornady Vmax and Varget powder.
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Frank

Post by Frank »

buck, welcome to the forum...

I have that exact same rifle and love it. My rifle LOVES the 39gr Sierra Blitz King bullet with 27grs of Benchmark powder, Winchester brass & Fed 205 Match primers at over 3700 fps in cool weather. Considerably faster in hot weather.

The last 3, "5" shot groups I shot last week with the above load made 3/8, 1/2 & 1/2" groups respectively at 100 yards, or minute of squirell. Another excellent load is with 25grs of RL10X with just slightly less velocity.

Happy Shooting
Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Jersey Hunter

Post by Jersey Hunter »

Anyone have any suggestions on equipment to buy or not buy? I was planning on getting a digital scale, is this really neccessary? Or will the scale that came with the kit be adequate?

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace. ... 4529825076

I think the above site has good information on what you need and don't need for reloading. What to buy first and get maybe later.
Good Luck,
Barry
buckeyeatc
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VL SS thumbhole

Post by buckeyeatc »

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Jersey very good link thanks!

I am sure I will be posting more questions in the future.