Good info.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Good info.

Post by Rich V »

From the favorite load post, I put together several loads. Of the four this was the best. The rifle is new and has less that 25 rounds down the tube. Now I'll work on tighting them up. The string is my fault, weak eyes.

BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Good info.

Post by BabaOriley »

What were the other loads that didn't shoot as well? What are you shooting them in?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

The stringing might be due to the variance in velocity as well - 114 fps spread from low to high.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

That velocity is a little slow for a 32 gr. Sierra BK. I would try to increase your charge weights to around 26.0 of RE-10X to get your velocity closes to the 3900-4000 fps range. You ought to be able to find a good recipe that will group just as well and get nearer the velocity the 32 gr. bullets are capable of. Just remember to work your way up in .2 gr. increments for safety reasons. This little case can build pressure pretty fast.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ditto skipper on the load being too light. I easily get 4000+ fps w/the 32gr bullets in my 204. Can't recall exact charge of RL10X I used though. Notes not handy right now.

RL10X is one of the very best powders in the 204, no doubt about it... however yesterday I shot 27grs of Benchmark & the 39gr bullet that produced a 3/8", 5 shot group at 100 yds at even higher velocity (than RL10X). Other groups were 1/2"... all at 100 yards and over 3700 fps. This at sea level and cool temps.

Good Luck

Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Frank

Post by Frank »

p.s. vertical stringing can also happen when your hand loosens up on the grip
Rich V.
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 heavy barrel

Post by Rich V. »

I'm not use to these little cases and didn't have any ideal as to what my limits should be. I would like to get the velocity up and would really like to shoot the 39 gr. BK. I had heart surgery to repair a valve in 06 and had a stroke to the right eye during the procedure.
This causes my eye to blurr after a few shots. I would like to beleive it's the 114 FPS. spread, but I don't think so. Any load information for this powder will be appreaciated.

Oh this is from a CZ varmint with a 24 5/8 barrel
Frank

Post by Frank »

OOPS... I meant "Horizontal" stringing... YIKES, my poor (old) mind. lol

Rick, sorry to hear about the stroke. Sounds (& looks/target) like you are doing well now.

Anyway, I'm glad you want to shoot the 39gr bullet, as it really is the best one IMHO. 27gr of Benchmark, win brass & Fed 205 match primer is my favorite load followed closely by 25gr of RL10X... again, with the 39gr Sierra B.K.

I never could get the 32 gr Hornadys to shoot as accurate or as consistently as the 39grainers. But if my memory serves me right (still do not have notes w/me) somewhere around 28 grs of Benchmark gave me the best results with the 32 gr bullet.

Benchmark is an outstanding powder for both the 204 & 223 and is also my favorite powder in the 223. This after testing approx 1500 rounds & dozens of loads & numerous powders over the last 4 1/2 years with these 2 calibers (combined). 2 1/2+ yrs w/the 204.

All The Best

Frank
Frank

Post by Frank »

p.s. I love those CZ varmint rifles... You did great on that one :)
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Frank
What kind of velocity should I see with 27 grs. of Benchmark through the CZ using the 39 BK's ?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Rick, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3700 to 3800+ fps in cooler temps & low elevations. Well over 3800 fps in 95+ degrees and especially if much elevation (3,000' & above) is added.

Pls let us know your results should you happen to test and chrono this load.

Good Luck
Frank