Flash hole De-Burring

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Flash hole De-Burring

Post by greystone »

This might seem to be a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyhow. I use Remington cases and trim to a uniform length before de-burring the flash holes. I use the Sinclair tool and it came with no instructions whatsoever. I'm getting ready to prep some brand new brass and I'm wondering how you guys set the depth of the de-burring tool. I've removed the burr on the cases that I am currently shooting but I can still feel a little bump on the bottom when I turn the tool. I don't want to get the primer pocket too thin. What kind of technique do you guys use. Thanks. Dave
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Flash hole De-Burring

Post by skipper »

I chuck the tool in a cordless drill and set the depth when the tool stops vibrating. That's the sign that the tool is just cutting all the way around the inside flash hole. It will just simply stop vibrating completely.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Not to hijack the post, but this is the exact reason I use the K&M tool, as case length has no bearing on cutting the flash hole, as the tool has a positive stop that bottoms out on the bottom of the case, cuting every flash hole exactly uniform case to case, regardless of case length. To me at least, it's a much better design.

It's fortunate we have so many choices in regard to all this tooling.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rich V.
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 heavy barrel

Post by Rich V. »

Greystone
Primer pockets should be cut to .118 to .122 for small rifle and .128 to .132 for large rifle. I use a .096 drill bit to uniform the flash hole. Deburr the inside of the flash hole just enough to remove the burr.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Not to hijack the post, but this is the exact reason I use the K&M tool, as case length has no bearing on cutting the flash hole, as the tool has a positive stop that bottoms out on the bottom of the case, cuting every flash hole exactly uniform case to case, regardless of case length. To me at least, it's a much better design.

It's fortunate we have so many choices in regard to all this tooling.
I used the K&M 20cal tool on 1000 new Winchester .204 brass. I think it took me 3 or 4 sessions, as the tool is so small in my hand it made my fingers ache holding onto it. Maybe not even holding onto the wire nut end, but holding the case itself. I found I had to hold the case very tightly to keep it from spinning in my fingers if the flash hole had a major burr to cut through.

I think the only reason I worked through the pain was hearing you'd never have a reason to deburr them a second time, right?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Baba: I should have mentioned this....take off the silly wire nut/handle, and chuck the tool up in a cordless drill. I wear a leather glove on my left hand to hold the case, and can do 100 cases easily in one sitting, takes about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to do the entire batch.

I normally neck size first to ensure a nice round case mouth, then uniform the primer pocket, then deburr the flash hole with the K&M tool shank in the drill. No more tired, numb fingers.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails