Sizing button

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Sizing button

Post by Rich V »

Most of my dies are Redding neck sizing dies with the bushing. I have removed the sizing button on them because I found that by doing so I can improve the neck run out by at least three thousands. Only problem is, with the .204 dies the button is part of the locking piece for the decapping pin, Has anyone else found neck run out to be a problem after sizing and what have you done to correct it? I have tried most of the common stuff, center the pin, square the shell holder,ect. but none work. My last resort may be to machine the button undersize.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Sizing button

Post by acloco »

Drop of superglue can work wonders sometimes (easy to remove too).
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Rich V--My suggestion involves an extra step in the casing prep, and that is to use a C-H universal decapping die BEFORE neck sizing. All it does is punch out the primer. That way, when I use the neck sizing dies, the primer is already out and I don't need the expander button or the depriming pin if I use my Redding dies.

Another BIG reason I use the universal decapping die is I have begun using Wilson bushing dies to resize casings for both my .17 Remington and my .204 Ruger. I deprime them, and then run the flash hole deburring tool in and give it a few light twists. Then I use my K&M primer pocket uniformer to clean the primer pocket BEFORE running the casings into the Wilson bushing dies. This keeps any debris from the primer and or flash hole area from getting into my Wilson bushing dies because the casing goes in casing neck down in the Wilson dies. I use a Haydon Arbor press with the Wilson dies.

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
MuleyTime
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by MuleyTime »

Two of my Redding Type S FL Match die sets actually came with a smaller replacement button for that exact reason. Not sure if the cheaper sets come with it though.
Rich V

Post by Rich V »

This is the type S, match, competition, neck 3 die set. Not cheap by my standards.

Silverfox, Sounds like you have a good operation going for you. The die that I use for sizing and decapping is a bushing neck die. I think what I may do is machine the button undersize.
MuleyTime

Post by MuleyTime »

The type S is very nice and not cheap by my standards as well......My last post wasn't worded very well.......Sorry.

What I meant to say is that my Type S dies all came with a smaller button. However, I don't have a type S in .204. What you might be saying is that the .204 may be different in that it's button/stem is built differently..?

That would really bumb me out as was ready to order the Type S for my .204.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Muley: The Redding Type S bushing dies in 204 are exactly like all their other bushing dies...no difference. No need to be bummed out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rich V.
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 heavy barrel

Post by Rich V. »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Muley: The Redding Type S bushing dies in 204 are exactly like all their other bushing dies...no difference. No need to be bummed out.
Not so. The sizing button on the .204 is part of the piece that is used to lock down the decapping pin. On my other dies, same type, say the 22/250 the sizing button floats and is a separate piece independent of the decapping pin and can be removed.
MuleyTime

Post by MuleyTime »

Rich V. wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote:Muley: The Redding Type S bushing dies in 204 are exactly like all their other bushing dies...no difference. No need to be bummed out.
Not so. The sizing button on the .204 is part of the piece that is used to lock down the decapping pin. On my other dies, same type, say the 22/250 the sizing button floats and is a separate piece independent of the decapping pin and can be removed.
OK- I think I understand what you are saying......
What you are describing is how my 6mmbr and 7wsm Type S dies are made. The button does lock the decpping pin, but the set came with a smaller button. So all you do is screw the bigger button off (decapping pin falls out), push the decapping pin back in and lock it by screwing the smaller button on the stem. If that's not how yours is put together, I would call Redding and let them know. I'm sure they would take care of you.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Upon closer/better examination, my Type S Neck Die set is made exactly as you describe with the expander button being part of the stem/lock assembly for the primer punch.

However, my Type S Full Length Die did indeed come with the extra button that does not have the neck expander button, most likely for this exact reason you describe.

I'm sure Sinclair can offer the lock assembly for the punch that does not have the neck expander, as Redding already supplies it with the F/L Type S Die.

Fortunately (for me), my Redding Ultra Mag press using Redding dies gives minimal TIR, usually in the range of zero to a max of about .0015". I upgraded to this press about six years ago after finding out my tried and true RCBS Rockchucker was giving me up to .006" TIR, but in all fairness, it loaded literally hundreds of thousands of handloads, and was used from the late 60's right up around the year 2000. Part of the secret to minimizing TIR is to make sure the die is either resting on the shellholder prior to tightening, or if you need to be a little bit above the shellholder, use a piece of precision steel bar, like a machinists rule to put on the shellholder, then raise the ram to touch the die bottom prior to tightening. With 7/8-14 threads on the die and press, there is alot of 'slop' in the threads, and registering the die on a precison-ground piece of steel will eliminate the slop if you need clearance between the die and the shellholder.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.....I shudda just gone and looked prior to posting. My bad. :?
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rich V

Post by Rich V »

Muley
You may be right, but in this case the smaller button. The one that cannot be removed is still sizing the neck. I'll give Sinclair a call, that's who I bought it from.
MuleyTime

Post by MuleyTime »

Good luck. I would like to know the outcome, as I'm getting ready to order a set.
Rich V

Post by Rich V »

Muley
I just got off the phone with Redding. Yes there is suppose to be an undersized part that is used to hole the decapping pin in place, that was not in my set. Redding is sending it out, no charge. If you get your die and don't get that extra piece here's Reddings number. 607 753 3331. Sinclair had no ideal about the third piece.
MuleyTime

Post by MuleyTime »

Good for you and good to know.......

Thanks!