Reloading equipment confusion

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
204fun
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Reloading equipment confusion

Post by 204fun »

Hey everyone, I've come to seek your help.

Im new to the forum but have read alot of the posts on here. I got a Remington 700 SPS 204 near Christmas last year and had fun on coyote drives with it last year ,getting my first coyote as well from the beggining I wanted to reload for it.

My problem is that in trying to figure out what I need to buy to reload for it I dont know what will work and what wont. I already have a press, powder trickler, and powder thrower. What i need to know is what other equipment do i need to reload my first batch of once fired brass. Im not looking for a super accurate load so the fine tuning tools can be added later. I only want the essentials because I want to go as cheap as possible so that it can be my Christmas gift (Im only 17). Ive tried to look for the tools and figure out what i need but many tools I cannot tell if they are 204 compatable. If it is at all possible it would be nice to order it all from one place that will ship to Canada. Hopefully you can help.

Thanx, Cody
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Reloading equipment confusion

Post by acloco »

A set of Redding or Hornady dies will be great. Don't worry about neck sizing, bushing sizing, or the like, until you learn the process and practice.

I would recommend a dial caliper - can be picked up online under $20 shipped. No need for the digital, you will have to buy batteries.

Case trimmer - you will need a case trimmer. Probably not on the first reload, but soon thereafter. I prefer the Forster. ALL of the accessories that you will eventually need cost 60% of any of the other brands. (helps to keep the money in your pocket or spend it on other items) For calibers other than 204, because they don't make one for it, the LEE handheld trimmers work very well. I use the case holder, while chucked in my cordless drill or screwdriver, to polish the brass to a perfect sheen with a product called "Never Dull".

I use a VLD chamfering tool to chamfer the inside of the case necks. Also use a Lyman for taking the sharp edge on the outside of the case mouth - looks like a sewing thimble. Cheap, yet very effective. Both of these tools are probably a "lifetime" tool. I doubt you can wear them out.

Tumbler - there is a good set on sale at Midway now - $55 gets you a tumbler, seperator, bucket, and some corncob media. Add some NuFinish to the corncob and you will have some clean brass.

Loading blocks - FREE at the range! 9mm or 223 50 count plastic trays make GREAT loading blocks. In fact, after I prep brass, I store all of my brass in these trays.

Scale - you need a good scale. One of the often overlooked balance beam scales is the Dillon and the Hornady. Either works well. I prefer the Hornady because it has the longest beam of any balance beam scale that I have seen. Longer the beam, the more finite the indicating will be. Called the Hornady model "M" scale.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Almost forgot the most important item.

ABC's of Reloading. Read it. Read it. and read it again. Ask your local library to bring it in if possible....or, just buy it. Best money you will spend.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

There are others who are far more experienced in the reloading department than me, but I too am in Canada and know what its like to see US available products that are a real hassle to get shipped here.

I did order my dies directly from Hornady and they came no problem (this was when the 204 was new and all components were next to impossible to find) otherwise I buy all my stuff from Canadian stores just to avoid any hassle or unexpected waits at the border.

Wholesale Sports
http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/main

and Russel
http://www.russellsports.com/

are both Canadian and do mail order and are probably your best bet.

there is also SIR which was recently bought by Cabelas, good place but their website is annoying to try and find things http://www.cabelas.ca/

Techincally it is legal to order reloading equipment from the US as it is all classified as "tools" or something similair. Components such as bullets, powder, brass, primers are best bought in Canada. Suprisingly the restrictions on ammo, scopes, barrels, bullets, brass and various gun parts are due to the US State Department and not our own draconian laws. Its all confusing and not well understood by anyone.

As for parts, I second what acloco said.

I would add that you may need to get a powder funnel that goes down to .20 cal (most only go as small as .22 so watch for that)

I agree that a caliper is a great tool, and I have not trimmed any brass yet (that is my next equipment purchase, my Christmas present to my self maybe) but measured each case and so far out of 500 once fired Hornady brass only 2 were set aside for being over length. You will find many uses for it.

You will need a priming system, I use the Lee, its economical but it hurts my hand after 2 minutes and its not the best. I have been looking at the RCBS APS system though others may recommend differently.

A beam scale is good, served me well for years, I recently bought a digital and love it but they are not cheap.

btw what part of Canada are you from? Here in Calgary (or most of western Canada) I could point out local suppliers but I am not familiar with anything east of MB
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

If you dont have a set of dies yet I will donate a RCBS full lenth die set with the bullet seater die to you if you want it just send me a PM with your address and I will get it off to you.
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
204fun
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by 204fun »

Thanx everyone for the info. I apologize for the wait for my reply but I had some issues with 94 Jeep grand cherokee and after a week of messing aroundwith it had to replace the computer. So I was a little pre-occupied.

As for the offer on the dies unfortunately we already ordered a set of Hornady dies ( they arrived in the mail yesterday) so somebody else new to reloading the .204 can benefit from your generosity.

I looked at the Russell's webite and it seems to have the best selection and I know that it is available to me in Canada. It seems like the have a good selection, much better than SIR becasue at least find what your looking for, MUCH more organized.

I dont think I will need to buy a scale right away because i think my uncle is going to let me borrow his for a little while. I realy appreciate the information especially the Russell's sports website. My rifle actually came from SIR so mailorder and a bit of a wait is fine with me.

As for local suppliers I am from Southwestern Ontario in a little town called Cottam. Their are 2 places about 20 minutes away but both ar a little pricy,although that is where powder,primers, and bullets will most likely come from. Their are a few other places about an 3/4 of an hour west of me that have good deals but it s a bit of a drive.
Thanx again. Cody
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Just be aware of the fact that Canadian suppliers are often back ordered and it may be months before the items arrive. I just stopped in at Russels here in Calgary to buy buy an item worth $63.99 CDN. They didn't have it and could not give any date as to when stock would arrive, they actually advised to buy elsewhere online.

So

10 minutes ago I put in my first order with Sinclair International, only problem was I totaled over $200 US instead of my days intended $65 purchase :eek:

I added a bunch of things that are not avaliable locally like nylon .20 cal brushes and the like, had to quit clicking on that dang convenient "add to shopping cart" button before I went broke.

Just on the note of ordering from the US, so far reloading equipment is fine.

Reloading components are a gray area, some parts are okay, others defianatly no-no (unless the required paperwork is obtained). Restrictions are mostly from US State Department nowadays, in past it was Canadian regulation we had to worry about, now there is both. Its all very confusing and the more reading I did the more confused I got :wall: .

I have resigned my self to, less selection, pay a little extra, and just buy my components locally. On that note when primers are is stock I like to buy as many as I may need for a year or 2. Its been a real pain to switch brands in order to keep shooting.