CCI BR4's

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

CCI BR4's

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

What happened to the CCI BR4 primers. It's been 4 months since I seen them in stock. One online dealer says they are expected 11-26-08. I'm guessing I shouldn't hold my breath. Anybody know what the problem is and when we can expect to see them again. I have about 20 loaded rounds left then my 204's are on ice till BR4's appear. If ya see a big kid waiting in line to sit on Santa's lap, it's just me.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: CCI BR4's

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: There's still some in the pipeline if you look. I snoozed and missed them here at Sportsmans Warehouse last week when they got in a large shipment, but was able to snag a few thou 205M's Friday. I saw a box of 1K on the shelf yesterday of a local ranch & home supply store (that has a HUGE gun dept.), so they're still about in retail nooks and crannies.

I hope you find some close to home; they're still out there.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

I am having the same problem too!! I looked at MidwayUSA and cannot find any. I really like those primers and its going to suck if we cannot buy them anymore! Let me know if you find any!
Cujo
.204 Ruger Guns: LRPV w/ Nightforce 5.5-22 X 56 NPR-2

Post by Cujo »

Mike:

Same problem here. Sportsman's Warehouse was out of them but had plenty of FGMM 205M's in stock. I purchased 4K because they seem to be out of stock anywhere else.
ah929rr
.204 Ruger Guns: custom AR15 in 204

Post by ah929rr »

I am having the same problem finding them so I contacted CCI and this was there reply

CCI BR4 (Small Rifle Benchrest) are on product "hold" by our Primer
Engineer and have been for about 8 months now. He is working to improve
the ignition characteristics of the product. I do not know when it will
be released for sales again. Linda
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

ah929rr wrote:I am having the same problem finding them so I contacted CCI and this was there reply

CCI BR4 (Small Rifle Benchrest) are on product "hold" by our Primer
Engineer and have been for about 8 months now. He is working to improve
the ignition characteristics of the product. I do not know when it will
be released for sales again. Linda

I'm not surprised. The last lot of 1000 I bought have proven to be real stinkers in the 204 and two 6BR's.
Then again the lot of BR-2's I bought the same day have been just as bad. I'm not working with any large primer rifles lately tho.

They both performed bad enough compared to my old lots that when I stumbled onto a little gunshop near one of my jobs I bought up all their dusty old CCI primers. They work well. Cheap too. Half price compared to new.
The two oldtimers running the place must have thought I was nuts when they saw me shoveling all them old primers into a cardboard box. :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Here's a link to a discussion on CCI primer's on a PM forum. Apparently some people have had issues with them.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ub ... 1#52997927
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Thanks for the link greystone.

Seems only Catshooter has had misfire problems with his batch.
Its nice to see where catshooter has gotten too these days. I've had the pleasure of meeting and shooting with him. Quite a character both online and off but a real gentleman. I'll need to remember to invite him for some egg shooting next season.

I've never expierienced a misfire with any primer. It does seem odd that both he and I shop at the same store and both have issues with "new" CCI's. :chin: Me thinks theres an antiConnecticut conspiracy afoot. Hawkeye, you know anything about this? :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

thanks for the heads up. guess I'll switch to the 7 1/2s.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Just tested some loads with a recent lot of CCI BR4's vs the Remington 7-1/2 and found the difference quite astounding. Those CCI's opened the group from about .65" to 1.25" with no other change. The weather was a bit cold for the SF Peninsula, about 43 degrees, overcast and foggy with a 10 mph wind gust that made it miserable. If CCI is having trouble with ignition consistency then probably cold isn't the best test condition. (My father was born in Duluth, Minnesota and he would have laughed at 43 F being called cold - "Ah ya sissy. It was so cold up there we had to bring the campfire inside to thaw out.")

Back when I was firing IHMSA matches I used Remington 7-1/2 primers exclusively as they produced best accuracy. An added feature is that this primer was developed for the AR-15/M-16 and had a more robust cup. The only primer that would best it in the 7mm TCU was the Remington 6-1/2, but the cups would pinhole and erode the Contender's firing pin bushing. No problem, the bushing was easily replaceable, and every TC shooter owned a large supply of spare parts. In a Contender that's no problem, but in a precision rifle the little flame craters in the bolt look so ugly!

CCI is a good outfit, by giving the Big Two some competition they reduced the price of primers. Let's hope they sort it out.