A new rifle BRAINTEASER

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
wyo

A new rifle BRAINTEASER

Post by wyo »

Just purchased a new Sav mod 12 FV.204. Shot a box of Horn 32s through it. Terrible groups some shots clear off my 24in x 30in target backstop. Took it home and determined scope was bad [re-centered crosshairs and gave it a recoil simulation several times and crosshairs moving around everywhere] I also tuned the bedding in the stock. Mounted an extra and good scope I have and it shot the remaining factory loads fine. Worked up some loads [RL 10x, in increments of 24 three shot groups using the 39BK, 22.6 -25.6] and ran the first three groups thrugh the tube. Shootin fine so far. Continue through the loads [the last series of three shot loadings] and they open up so bad most shots missing target. I said most shots. When I do get three to print on the paper, 8-10in. groups?? This scope has got to be bad also I says to myself. Take it home and mount it on a proven shooter, the scope works fine on it, at least for several shots. I take the rings of the Sav [they were tight] and the bases are snug. I run a tight patch through the bore having indexed the rod and it shows a 1:10 twist [the factory specs say 1:12 and I don't believe this should make that much difference anyhow]?? Any guesses?? :huh:
jo191145

Re: A new rifle BRAINTEASER

Post by jo191145 »

For one thing I prefer to break in my factory barrels. I've never had a factory tube that could maintain accuracy for extended fire without doing some work to smooth them up a little.
Some folks have great luck with 10X. Its probably a good powder to use on a new tube as it burns filthy enough to help prevent copper fouling. I also have never gotten it to shoot very long without cleaning the barrel. It seems to burn to dirty for extended sessions. All barrels are different though. YMMV

Also make sure your forarm is not touching the barrel. Savs synthetic stocks are known to be flimsy. If you changing the position on the front bag things could get screwy quick.

Theres lots of folks using the 39bk with good effect. I just tried some load development in my newest Sav tube. Not so good. Not terrible but not good enough. I also had some huge fliers at the top end of the load scale that defy rational explanation. I still don't trust these bullets. To many bad expieriences with to many barrels.

We'll have to take your word on the 10 twist Sav tube. Might want to check it again tho. If somehow you did actually get a 10 twist you should be happy about it.

Clean it GOOD!
Try some more factory 32's for a benchmark.
Try a different powder and bullet. (35 Bergers :hail: )

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
wyo

Post by wyo »

I mounted the scope back on the Savage and shot 12 factory Hornady 32 grs through the tube [4 groups of 3 shots]. After bore sighting it printed the first three 8in. high in an 1 1/4in. cluster. All right so far. Adjusted the scope to move point of impact 8 in. down. The next three shots were a ragged clover leaf and 1 1/2in. low of first group and 1 1/2in. to the right. Uh oh, maybe the scope is the problem?

I adjusted scope 6 1/2in. tomove point of impact down and the next group of three landed where they should have for elevation, 2 overlapping and 1 to the left 1 1/2in. [flyer, who knows].

I then adjusted the scope 2 moa up and the first shot landed 5in. high and 6in. left and the next two tried to pair up 2moa high of the preceding group??

The barrel has only 40 rounds through it since a thorough cleaning and was dry patched good between the 20s. The problem involves the Hornady factory 32s as per my original post and not just the 39BKs.

The barrel never contacted the stock throughout this process or the earlier shooting session either.

The twist, whether it's a 10 or a 12 shouldn't make this kind of difference.

I'm thinkin until I'm positive about the reliability of my glass I won't know for sure how much, if any, the rifle or my loads are responsible?

To be very specific, does the results of the LAST TWO groups [think of flyers, as I described them] appear to be indicative of a scope problem [obviously the first adjustment shows the scope aint workin reliably].

Thanks, WYO
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Shine a light at a 80 degree angle to the muzzle - see any copper?
wyo

Post by wyo »

No, there's no sign of copper but the edge of the hole at the muzzel is slightly burred. Just noticed it. I suspect that's not good?

Wyo
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The burr is big-time not good. I use a lead ball and valve lapping coupound in the lathe to remove small burrs like that, or you can put a screw into a lead ball and use a drill press also. Even using your fingers with the bullet or ball with lapping compound will eventually do the trick if it's just a small burr.

Of course your smith will be more than glad to remove it for you too, but any burr at the muzzle will quickly destroy any degree of accuracy the rifle may have had.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

wyo

Post by wyo »

Thanks for the replies. I took the burr off as recomended. I believe I need to send in the scope for warranty repair and try another scope that is proven to determine if that's the only problem. I've got a sneakin suspicion, as jo191145 suggested, that barrel breakin and tinkerin with loads might settle things down if it's more than just jumpy crosshairs.

By the way, I did carefully check with an indexed cleaning rod and a snug patch [several times] and this rifle does show a 1:10 twist. According to Savages site, the model 12FV in .204 is 1:12. I wonder what the deal is?

Thanks, Wyo :)
Red

Post by Red »

wyo wrote: Worked up some loads [RL 10x, in increments of 24 three shot groups ------ it shows a 1:10 twist [the factory specs say 1:12 and I don't believe this should make that much difference anyhow]?? Any guesses?? :huh:
Not sure by your post, it sounds like 24 x 3 = 72 rounds? is that right? Mine (Savage) needs cleaning after 75 rounds, when it was new it needed it more frequently. Never had one thrown completely off the paper though. Maybe you already found the problem in the burr. Hope so, good luck.

A 1/10 twist? Really? Cool!
wyo

Post by wyo »

Yea, I wasn't too clear about that. I loaded 24 hornady cases so that I had 8 groups of three shots. The charge weights ranged from 22.6 grns of RL 10x up to the last group of three shots at 25.6 grns.. Since buying the rifle 2 weeks ago I've put exactly 47 factory loads and 24 handloads down the tube. I cleaned the bore before ever shooting it and then again after the first 35 shots.

Sorry about that. :oops:

Wyo
Red

Post by Red »

Worst case, you could take it to a smith and have it re-crowned. It's inexpensive and generally you'll end up with a better than factory crown IMO. Keep us posted.