coyote bullet

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
cracker

coyote bullet

Post by cracker »

it seems that most like the accuracy out of the 39 grain seirra's but how do they work for coyotes. I have a pretty good load made up for the 35 grain burgers but if the accuracy of the 39s is that much better and they perform well on yote a may need to do some load work.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: coyote bullet

Post by Glen »

Those 35gr Bergers have been knocking the snot out of coyotes for the last couple winters & fur buyers seem to really like them. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Go with the bergers. With the 39 SBKs you run the risk of having splashes, plus you don't need .5 MOA accuracy for coyotes.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Savage250
.204 Ruger Guns: Dan Carey Custon AR-15 24"

Post by Savage250 »

Both of those bullets will take coyotes with authority. I shoot both but found the best accuracy was with the 35gr. Bergers. I shot a lot of different loads with the 39's with three different powders and still couldn't beat the accuracy of the 35's with H4895. Vermintator2 is right, I don't worry about accuracy as much shooting yotes. Also the fact that I bought 500 rounds of the 39SBk's has a little to do with it. ;)
Anyone who is sworn-in to uphold the Constitution of the United States and then doesn't, should be convicted (not tried) of Treason and dealt with swiftly.
"27 Words"
Savage250
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

One little thing I'd suggest you keep in mind when choosing between the 35 gr. FB HP Berger and the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing--WIND DEFLECTION!!!

If are calling those varmints in close (150 yards and closer) then those 35 gr. FB HP Bergers would be the bullet I'd choose. Very accurate, excellent knock-down power on coyotes, and excellent fur-saving results for me. However, if you are shooting shots over 150 yards in high wind, then I'd suggest the 39 gr. Sierras. For me, the Sierras are just as accurate as the Bergers and show way less wind deflection than the Bergers. I have not had any surface splash wounds or large exit holes with the Sierras, but have heard reports of other shooters having that problem.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
badhop
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VTR 204 Ruger

Post by badhop »

Try the Hornady 45gr sps bullet if you want accuracy and knock down power, and with the added benefit of less wind deflection. The Bergers are excellent, but I find less accuracy with the sierras out of my rifle. I'll be using the 45gr bullet for coyote, and the 35gr bergers for ground hogs and coyote if they happen along when I'm set up for the ground hog.
Fat NDN
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Bull Barrel

Post by Fat NDN »

Different guns shoot the same bullets different. I had a H&R .204 bull barrel and it didn't shoot any on them worth a crap.
Sold the gun, now I have the new Savage Model 25 Varminter in .204 Ruger. We will see how this goes.
:wall:
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Fat NDN wrote:Different guns shoot the same bullets different. I had a H&R .204 bull barrel and it didn't shoot any on them worth a crap.
Sold the gun, now I have the new Savage Model 25 Varminter in .204 Ruger. We will see how this goes.
:wall:
I had one of those also and I wasn't very happy with it either. What really got me was the POI would shift dramatically from one brand and weight of bullet to another. Much happier now
Red

Post by Red »

cracker wrote:it seems that most like the accuracy out of the 39 grain seirra's but how do they work for coyotes.
They've worked well for me. It's true you will get a splash occasionally if you hit the shoulder, spine, etc. but overall they are not too destructive on fur and many times I get just a teeny tiny entrance with no exit. Personally, I don't save fur, so an occasional giant hole doesn't bother me as long as they're dead.

40 V-Max seemed to be about the same as the 39BK as far as destructive properties on fur. Some guys experience poor accuracy with them, others do not.

I wanted to try the 45g Hornady Soft Points, however they won't shoot worth a hoot in my rifle.

I've never tried the Bergers though so I cannot compare them. Most who try the Bergers seem to like them.