Testing 38 gr Wildcat loads

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
CV32

Testing 38 gr Wildcat loads

Post by CV32 »

Still working on potential loads for the 38 gr Wildcat in my CZ527 American. Tried 5 round groups using 27.8 gr W748 and 26.7 H4895, CCI 450 primers, Winchester cases.

It was a bit breezy on the day I was testing, making it tougher than usual, but for some reason I'm getting flyers after the third round.

Do these results suggest barrel heating? (The barrel didn't seem terribly warm to me).

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Testing 38 gr Wildcat loads

Post by Hotshot »

If the flyers are always 4th and 5th shot you sure would think it is heat. Try a longer spacing between shots to see if that helps. I usually wait 60 seconds from a shot untill I load for another and if I wait a few minutes between groups I don't have heat issues untill over 20 shots or sometimes 30 have been fired.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I would say heat. The other thing I've seen folks do is not make certain the rifle is on the same place on the bags every time in a string. If you are waiting a minute or two or however many be sure you wait with an empty chamber & keep your loads out of the sun. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Hey CV. Is your 527 the light sporter barrel or the varminter?
Savage Vaporizer
CV32

Post by CV32 »

Gube wrote:Hey CV. Is your 527 the light sporter barrel or the varminter?
Its the sporter.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

Yes, it could easily be heat related. You have a light barrel and they are more susceptible to heat drift.

My Ruger No. 1 starts to spread out after three shots, possibly after two. I end up with two touching, and the third by itself. So long as I shoot three shot strings, I can usually cover them with a quarter at 100-yds. The fourth would take a 50-cent piece. If I shoot a fifth, it's out at about three inches. Always moves up and left.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

Thanks, guys, I'm going to load some more and try them a little more slooowly. ;)
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I don't really want to sound too stupid but I'm fairly new to the 204. What is the 38 gr Wildcat and who makes it? :?
Dave
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

greystone wrote:I don't really want to sound too stupid but I'm fairly new to the 204. What is the 38 gr Wildcat and who makes it? :?
Dave
Richard is a bullet maker in Alberta, Canada that specializes in long distance stuff. I posted some info on with links to his web sight in an earlier thread. You can view it here.
http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewt ... 5c302b18e7
Savage Vaporizer
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Thanks Gube. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of results some of you guys are getting with these. Dave