Harrell Powder throwers?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
majcl5

Harrell Powder throwers?

Post by majcl5 »

I was thinking of getting one i heard from a freind that they are very accurate. He said he does not even have to weigh it is that accurate after adjustment of corse. Has any body tried one?
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Harrell Powder throwers?

Post by acloco »

I would not spend the money...again.

No more accurate than my RCBS with the micrometer adjuster, the Redding 3, or the plain jane RCBS.

It really depends on the powder you are throwing and how consistent YOU toss the charge....more than anything else.

If the truth be told, I believe my Belding and Mull powder drops are the most accurate of all.

Honest, don't spend the money. If I were buying a new powder measure today, it would be a Hornady....love the micrometer and REALLY love the powder dump tube when you are down.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I was looking for a new powder measure earlier this year and spent a couple months researching and talking to people about the different types and brands available. I finally landed on a Harrel and I picked their Premium Culver Powder Measure. I realy wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money but as soon as I opened the package from Sinclair, and thoughts about the price went out the window, I absolutely love this thing!

acloco is correct, it does depend on the powder and how consistently you toss the charge (no matter what type/brand you use) but I have found the Harrel to be extremely accurate, the built in micrometer is fantastic as well.

Once you find the setting that throws the charge you want, all you have to do is document the setting with that particular powder and you can quickly and consistently get back to it. It's great for bouncing between different powders.

If you have the money to spend, you won't be disappointed.

I've used H322, Benchmark, Alliant 2400 and BL-C (2) in my Harrel, all with great accuracy and consistency.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I'm still using my $15 Lee :eek: . And still happy with it. Although I weigh EVERY charge EVERY time.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Thanks for the info guys it will help
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I used my dad's old 15 dollar Lee for several years and there was nothing wrong with it, but I do LOVE the new Harrel. In fact if you don't mind spending a little time, you can set the load a tad light and trickle the charge up to the exact weight you want and if you are doing that, it doesn't matter what powder measure you are using!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Squatting Wolf wrote:.....Once you find the setting that throws the charge you want, all you have to do is document the setting with that particular powder and you can quickly and consistently get back to it. It's great for bouncing between different powders.

If you have the money to spend, you won't be disappointed.
The above is one of the reasons that the Harrell Powder Measures are so popular amongst the BR crowd. The click adjustments make for very consistent return to previous settings and you still get the exact same weight of powder thrown.

Honest, spend the money....they're worth it.... And they are very accurate and consistent..

JMO - BCB
kenyonh
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLSS

Post by kenyonh »

I agree with Squatting Wolf, drop a tad light and measure ALL. I'm so paranoid that I even verify zero on the scale every 5 charges. Usually for no reason.
All in all though, with reloading equipment I'd rather spend good money once than bad money 3 times.
Greg H.
Not only do we have opposing thumbs, we also have trigger fingers.