First sloppy hole!

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Hotburn76

First sloppy hole!

Post by Hotburn76 »

Been breaking in the new Savage 12 in 204 and have had plenty of sub MOA 100 groups, but the goal has been to make clover leafs. Yesterday I shot this group with 21.8 grains of IMR 4198 and a 39 grain SBK. Center to center was .18! This must be a great bullet for this gun because one other thing happened that I have never had happen. I loaded the full range from 20.0 to 22.0 per the book, and all the groups shot less then 1.25 and several had bullets touching. Most of the time loading full range for me I have some groups that are close and then one end or the other is hand size. This was only a three shot group and now I will go back and try to repeat and work on a five shot group. Just wanted to show my first one. Thanks to all for the great info on this site. I do not post much, but have kept up with the info here. First found the site a few years ago when I bough a H&R in 204. I still have the gun, but gave up on trying to make clover leafs with it. Was able to do it with the Savage on my third try at a load. I have repeated this once since taking this photo a few days ago.

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: First sloppy hole!

Post by acloco »

SSSWWWEEET!

Running joke between my shooting pardner and eye...."...break the lead off of the pencil, I can still see a little color on the edge"!!! LOL! Again...a little shooter's banter between us.

Looks like you got a keeper!

We would also call this "refrigerator art"...heck the kids get to post the stuff on the fridge, why can't we?? (RIO & Skipper would have GORE shots of shredded PD's on their amana's!)
Big Nick
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther .204 Ruger

Post by Big Nick »

I think the .204 is an exceptional round and the posts in this forum, like yours, proves it. My DPMS loves the 32 gr. Sierra Blitzking. I could not get consistant groups using the Hornady V-max, in 32 and 40 grain weights. I'm not knocking the V-max because I owned a Savage in .22-250 that shot 5/8" groups all day with them but my DPMS favors the Blitzkings. I plan on getting some 39 gr. Bk's and see what they will do. I think a lot of people must be having good luck with the Sierras because I had to go to 5 online stores before I found someone with them in stock and I bought the last three boxes that they had. All the big stores where out of the 32 grainers. Good shooting.
Hotburn76

Post by Hotburn76 »

Thanks for the replys guys! Having lots of fun with this gun! Went out tonight and tried some 32 grain Noslers with that did not do to well, had one group that did .75 group. Then I shot some 30 grain bergers with 23.5 grains of 4198 and was as happy as a kid at christmas. This is just a three shot group, I like it to much to try a five! Will have to play with five shot groups soon. Enjoy the pic!

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Nice going! That looks really good! :wtg: Have you tried 40 grainers yet?
Gary
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Those are some great looking groups! I like the Bergers too. They seen to be very consistent.
Dave
cracker

Post by cracker »

just wondering if those are ten shot groups.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker