Ladder test interpretation?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Muslmutt
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter

Ladder test interpretation?

Post by Muslmutt »

I shot a 10 shot ladder test today. I used Benchmark and 35g Bergers. Rifle was a Savage Predator Hunter. The target did not really turn out as I had expected, but still not disappointing. How would you proceed? How would you interpret? I have my own ideas, let's see if we agree.
Starting at 1 o'clock is #9?
Below that is #3,#6,#2, & #1 is just a little before 3 o'clock. #10 is at 3 o'clock and in the black, #7 is right below that. #8 is at 9 o'clock in the black, #s 4 and 5 are above #8.

Thanks.
Matt.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Ladder test interpretation?

Post by acloco »

Run the ladder over and only shoot 5 shots per target.

How much more powder per round are you adding?

Keeping EVERYTHING else the same???
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

An Audette Ladder can be an awesome tool used correctly.
That looks like a 100yd target to me but I have seen results like that at 200yds. Which is it?

200yds minimum with .2 gn increments for Benchmark. Other powders I use .3gn increments.

If that was 100yds and your limited to that range find and print a Target with about twenty dots (bulls) and shoot only one shot at each. Its easy to "read" the nodes in such a fashion.

Benchmark and 35's is a combo well documented. Somewhere between 26.4 and 26.8 gns with naked pills set at roughly 2.265 it should start bugholing. If not then switch primers and try again.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Muslmutt

Post by Muslmutt »

Sorry, that is 100 yards, with .1 grain increments. Finding a place to shoot around here over 100 yards is a bit of a problem. Everything is kept constant.
Thanks.
Matt.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Matt

Make sure you run at least five foulers of the ladders beginning charge through the bore before running any ladder. Clean barrels and foriegn powders will mess up the results. Shooting higher charges of the same combo will mess things up too unless you shoot the five first.

You think finding places to shoot long range is tough in Oklahoma you should try Connecticut :lol: :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Muslmutt

Post by Muslmutt »

Wow, thanks. Guess i did sort of mess that up. I was shooting a different powder and bullet before running my ladder test. In all of my reading I never came across that tip. Pre foul, sure, same powder makes sense.