Help needed Dies

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
aussiemick

Help needed Dies

Post by aussiemick »

Guys i am a newby at reloading and would like some info on dies????
They are for my 204 my question is do i get full length dies or which dies do i get
Also what brand do i get i have a lyman tmag press???

Thanks Mick
Lee C.

Re: Help needed Dies

Post by Lee C. »

Mick, If you wan't good dies i would go with the redding or forster dies. Midway sells a set of redding dies called type S match bushing neck sizer 3-die set. It's got a bushing neck sizer die, a body bump die to push the shoulder back when the cases get to long and a competition seater die to seat your bullets. And i have a forster full lenght die i use on new brass the first time befor loading them. You can buy once fired brass or if you fine once fired brass at the rifle range you'l have to full lenght size it to work in your gun. I hope this will help you out some.

Lee
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Mick, I think I'd order a Redding deluxe three-die set first off, and try that first, only afterwards would I spring for fancier "$" dies, if the accuracy wasn't sufficient. You'd have the full-length dies, and a neck sizer, and that should do it, for most purposes.
I'm using the much eschewed RCBS regular FL dies, and topping them off with a Redding neck sizer, and getting "plenty good enough" accuracy for my needs and wants.
I've killed a LOT of prairie dogs using these dies to make the ammo, and haven't had any complaints from the recipients :wink:
Or, you can do it LeeC's way, and have probably slightly better results, but at somewhat more expense. Lee is, in no way, giving you bad advice.........
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

You are getting good advice but if you're on a budget then the Lee dies will work also. I have both the FL and neck sizing dies. Thinking about getting a Forster Bump die tho. These pennies were shot this morning. 3 shots and 3 pennies at 100 yds. Cases sized with Lee neck sizing die. Dave