brand new reloader

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
capitol
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ527

brand new reloader

Post by capitol »

Hi guys,

This is my first post here even though I've been lurking for a long time. I fell in love with the 204 after shooting 223 for years. My other baby is 6.5 Grendel, but that's for a different board.

I use two 204 rifles in the field. One is an AR15 and the other is a CZ527 Kevlar. It took me about three trips to the range and I finally have my recipe for the AR

Im a brand new reloader. My first round was born in my garage on April 29th 2008 ;)

Here are my results.

Factory federal 39g SBK out of my AR at 100 yards. All targets are 100 yards, 5 rounds each.

My load. 24.6g of RL-10x, 39gr sbk, cci 41 primer

My load. 26.5gr of win 748, 40gr v-max cci 41

Those are decent, but I want them holes touching! So, back to 204 Ruger.com I went looking. I found someone listed a all the recipes from all the members here of the different favorite loads and I went from there.

I found what works for my AR alright. It's Varget 39g SBK, fed brass, cci41 <--Im going to try a different primer though. I had two non fires out of 100 rounds. Its the Timney trigger. It's not designed for military primers.

I've actually duplicated these results. I loaded this once and shot em. Then I loaded them up again and my groups proved this is the round my rifle enjoys to eat.

Some 25.2gr of RL15 here with a 40gr Vmax

Next thing I want to do is start playing with bullet seating depths.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: brand new reloader

Post by Captqc »

Cap, welcome to the forum! Looks like you've got things dialed in as those groups are tight! As far a bullet seating depth goes the guys around here should have some good information for you (I'm not an expert but I do know that factory ammo has the bullets set very deep and they can be moved much closer to the lands). Gary