Brass Help

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Varmintcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 15001vosv

Brass Help

Post by Varmintcaller »

After adjusting my sizer die, I chambered a newly sized case in my Howa 1500. Upon extracting the case i noticed several longitudinal scratches on the case. Just to make sure it wasnt my die causing this, I resized another case and inspected it carefully...No scratches.
I chambered this case, extracted it, and it had the same scratches as the first one. This rifle has never been fired. The scratches aren't very deep, but a thumbnail will dig in, Should i worry about case failure? Can this condition be fixed without a gunsmith? If its due to a rough chamber, will it smooth out? Any advice will be appreciated.
Lee C.

Re: Brass Help

Post by Lee C. »

Varmintcaller, You can take some Flitz compound and try polishing the chamber. That should take care of it for you.
Varmintcaller

Post by Varmintcaller »

Thanks for the reply, but how do i polish the chamber?
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

I've got some old 3 peace cleaning rods. I'l take one and put a old wire brush on it and put some cleanning patches on it tell it's alittle tight in the chamber. then put the rod in a drill with some flitz on the patches and your set to go. Make sure you clean it out good when your done. I use alochol to clean out a barrel after useing flitz. But make sure you oil your barrel after your done as alochol will take out every thing and dry out the barrel and you could get some rust in it.

I've done it this way on a gun i had and it work out ok for me. It shouldn't take long to fix it. But if it dosen't help and you may have to send the gun back. They may not stand behinded it if they see you have been trying to work on it. Hope this helps ya out.
Varmintcaller

Post by Varmintcaller »

Thank you for the instructions, I'll give it a try........Hope it works.