powder advice needed

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

powder advice needed

Post by foxwhistler »

I have finally managed to get hold of some 39g Sierra blitzkings after months of trying.
Just wondering which powder to try first.I`ve got Benchmark,H4895 and BL-C(2).The rifle i`ve got has a 22 inch barrel,and so far the most accurate load has been 32g V-MAX over BL-C(2).
Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)
Jamie.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: powder advice needed

Post by Hotshot »

I started my 204 experience loading 32 grain Vmax and Bkings using Benchmark powder. When I tried the 39 Bkings I fell in love with them. (You can't really tell the difference to 400 yards when shooting prairie dogs, but the 39's are noticeably better out to about 550 and fighting the wind.) My Savages shoot very nice groups with BM and the 39's, but H4895 and R10X shoot nice groups and give me another 100+ fps. Since I wanted that extra performance at 400-550 yards, I decided to use the faster loads. If the Benchmark was better for accuracy I'd stick with that. I have two 26 inch barrels and a 24. All three love the same load:

Win. brass, BR-4 primers
24.8 gr R10x, 39 gr Sierra Bking

I think R10X goes through my powder measure better than H4895 but I get equal velocity and accuracy using slighty more H4895.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

When working up loads for the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing, I had three loads that were almost identical for accuracy. The powders I was testing were Rel 10X, AA2520, and H4895. The Rel 10X load won out initially. Velocity with that load was a tad over 3,800 fps. When I ran out of that pound of powder, I purchased another pound from a different lot number. The new powder didn't burn as fast and I had to increase the powder charge more than I thought was prudent to get the same velocity. Accuracy suffered, and the remainder of that pound of Rel 10X became fertilizer in my garden. I switched to the H4895 load. That load gives me right around 3,865 fps and super-good accuracy.

I also test N-540 with the 39 gr. Sierra and have a decent accuracy load for that powder too. This old Savage 12VLP doesn't seem to be particularly picky when it comes to working up loads.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Thanks for the advice.To be honest i`d quite like to try a few other powder`s in time,but with most powder running at £35 ($70) a lb here in the U.K,I dont want to go too silly.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
The N.U.B.

Post by The N.U.B. »

At $70/lb, I'd want to use what I had too. I like a couple of loads with Benchmark. 24.5 gn. works great in my 24" Kimber ProVarmint. I like 26.0 gn. in my XR-100 with a 26" snout. This should give you some starting points without burning tons of powder working up the ladder. BL-C(2) didn't work all that well for me with the heavier bullets. I too use only CCI BR-4 primers.

The 24.5 load was pretty slow, but terrific accuracy (.28-.38). Works wonders out to 400 yds. Past that, I'm not consistent enough to tell.

I absolutely love the splat factor of the SBK. I fell in love with the accuracy of the Berger 35 and 40 grainers, but they just shoot right through the dogs. Not a problem with the Sierra.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Scott
Only good Prairie Dog is a dead Prairie Dog.