LRPV Magic

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tarbabi

LRPV Magic

Post by tarbabi »

I wouldn't believe this if I hadn't have done it. This rifle has completely amazed me, I don't even know where to start. First, I this is a stock LRPV that I had the action trued on and the chamber set correctly. Up until today I had only put 175 rounds of Federal 39gr BKs through. The first load I started with was:

39gr BK
25.5gr Benchmark
COAL 2.25"
Brand New Nosler Brass
WSR Standard Primers

The first five rounds I used to get back to zero since I changed my scope mounts out.
The conditions were:

72 degrees
SW wind at 25-30
1800 hours

I was not wanting to shoot at all because of the wind but really wanted to get back on paper after the mount change.

I am speechless. :eek:

My setup:

Savage 12 LRPV 204 Ruger
Nightforce Two Piece 15 MOA Bases
Nightforce Medium Ultralite Rings
Nightforce 8-32x56
Last edited by tarbabi on Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHISTLEPIG

Re: LRPV Magic

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I'm happy for you. Nothing like a good shooting rifle to take to everyday grind away. If I was not waiting on a 85 Sako, I would have one right now.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Great shootin' but it doesn't surprise me. With a similar load in my Savages I have gotten many 5 shot groups in the .2's with 3 or even 4 shots in .08 to .15. Keep up the good work.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

That's nice shooting and to get that from the first load you tried is tremendous.

I do believe the group is a bit bigger than .105" though. The top two holes don't seem to overlap very much, if at all. If they were the diameter of the bullet (which they usually aren't--they are a bit smaller), then .204" plus .204" = .408"/2 = .204" group. Try to place a small mark at the center of the two holes farthest apart. Then measure the distance between those two marks. Just guessing, but I think if you measure that group as I suggested, it will be about a .170" to .200" group. That's GREAT though.

I'll bet that fabulous Nightforce 8-32x56 scope is a dream to use. Sure wish I had one
Last edited by Silverfox on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

It is some nice shooting, but I agree with silverfox.

I opened the target in OnTarget http://www.ontargetcalc.com/ and it's telling me .205".

Insert software plug here (I am in no way affiliated with either of the following programs).

I have been using a program called Group Size Calculator ( http://www.rawilson.net/shareware/Gsc/index.html ) to measure my targets it's a nice program but a bit of a chore to setup. Then I happened upon OnTarget and it is much easier to use, and it's freeware. If you use OnTarget and it performs to your liking please consider donating to it's further development.

WW
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

WrzWaldo--Thanks for the link to that program. If I get ambitious, I'll have to download it and see if I can learn how to run it. I have always thought it would be nice to be able to calculate group size when folks post their targets on the Internt. It looks like someone read my mind and wrote that program.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
tarbabi

Post by tarbabi »

Okay, I had our resident BR official measure it today. .109

I am still amazed. I wish I had shot a five shot group now.

Matt
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

tarbabi-- I am wondering if you mistyped when you typed
our resident BR official measure it today. .109
and whether that should read .209" instead of .109?

Here is a picture of a 100 yard 3-shot group I shot with 39 gr. Sierras a while ago. As you can see by the text on the photo, the top group measures .220" center-to-center on the two bullet holes farthest apart. This group appears to be almost identical to the one you shot as far as group size goes. I'll post your photo right below this group of mine. (I did take your target into PhotoShop and sharpened the image a bit and brightened it up some too so the holes are easier to define.) The comparative sizes of the photos might make the size of the squares in each target less than identical, but I think you'll see the similarities in the placement of the holes in the two targets. Then, the target right below your target is another 100 yard target I shot with the same 39 gr. bullet where the group measure .120" center-to-center. That group is considerably smaller than the .109" group. Regardless, your group is still a SUPER group, and the rifle and load are definitely keepers!!! Remember, if you need anyone to give that Nightforce scope additonal testing, I am always available to help you out!!! :wink:

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
tarbabi

Post by tarbabi »

No typo. Measured outside to outside at the furthest point and then subtract the diameter of the bullet which measured .2038.

Like I said, I should have shot an honest 5 to be sure.

Matt
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Matt, if that is a .109 or a .205 group it's stell some pretty nice shooting on your part way to go.
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I don't want to take anything away from you But that's not .109 I have measured enough to know by looking at that.
tarbabi

Post by tarbabi »

No offense taken.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

Damm good group! Wait until you have some perfect conditions for shooting....no wind, not too cold, ect. then go back out and shoot your 5 shot group! Until then clean it and look at stuff through that BAD A$$ scope you have sitting on top of it! Also, lets see some pics of the rifle!
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Nice group by any measurement, for sure. A .204 doesn't make a .204 hole in paper. It's more like .195 or so. Subtracting .204 from an outside to outside measurement will result in a group size smaller than it really is. Measure one of the holes on your target and subtract that from the outside to outside measurement. We've had this discussion before on this forum a long time ago.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

skipper wrote:Nice group by any measurement, for sure. A .204 doesn't make a .204 hole in paper. It's more like .195 or so. Subtracting .204 from an outside to outside measurement will result in a group size smaller than it really is. Measure one of the holes on your target and subtract that from the outside to outside measurement. We've had this discussion before on this forum a long time ago.
What skipper has quoted is the only way to even come close to an accurate group measurement for Internet consumption. Even then, the use of a Sweaney-Type reticule ruler will help refine those measurements out beyond one decimal place and make them more accurate so they can be accurately described.

Guessing where the center of the holes are and marking them with a felt tipped pen, and the various other individual "techniques" that get tossed out as tips on how to measure groups, all give you an answer, but seldom is the answer even remotely close to correct.....sometimes not even to the first decimal place.

If you can visualize it, a 0.1XX inch group means that a round bullet hole of any diameter has been elongated and is out of round in some direction by 0.1XX inches. Accurately measuring outside to outside whether the group is one hole or whether its a group of separate holes and subtracting a true/correct one hole diameter is the only way to get a correct or close to correct answer.

In sanctioned shoots, and depending on the type of sanctioned shoot, the diameter of bullet holes for the various calibers of rifles fired is finely defined and is understood by all shooters before the match begins. As a result, all 20 caliber shooters for example, get the same diameter deducted on their targets. And since all shooters fire on targets all made of the same type of target paper that are all attached to equal backing materials, the holes are typically identical in size from one 20 caliber rifle to another.

-BCB