Lee AutoPrime Shellholder Problems..

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Nodak7mm
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger VT

Lee AutoPrime Shellholder Problems..

Post by Nodak7mm »

Sat down to prime new 204 WW brass in my tried and true lee auto prime tool and when seating, the shellholder appears to be a loose fit and really marks ups/damages the rim when trying to seat the primer and it allmost pushes the case thru. Never had an issue before with any other brass and I am using the correct shellholder.. :mad: :mad:

Ever seen this before? Had the shell holder set since the 80's...

Do I have a brass issue or a shellholder issue? I am thinking a shellholder...

Now I got myself thinking. I have loaded thousands of .223 & .17 rem with no problems. I gotta go downstairs and look at case drawings...

Thanks
I really love Lefse' !!!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Lee AutoPrime Shellholder Problems..

Post by acloco »

Nodak - should be the same shell holder. Might be worn out? The Lee shellholders can wear out.

RRV - Red River Valley - where are you at ? Spent quite a bit of time in Grand Forks, EGF, & Fargo/Moorehead area.
Nodak7mm

Post by Nodak7mm »

Okay, I may have solved my prob. Ran downstairs and mic'ed a bunch of .204 rims, avg d is .372. Hmm, drawings shows .378, now I am thinking brass issues.. Then I mic some .17 & .223 brass with those avg .374. What the fudge.. Then I just grab the lee auto tool and to seat another and I happen to note the plunger stem that seats the primer is really extended, hmmmm, that aint right. I seat one to where is feels seated and hey, no prob.

Then DUHHHH, I realized I had worn out one of the components on the Autoprime and had replaced it, this brass being the first I had seated. I've summarized, the tolorences are not matched and as a result, the "arm" length is longer, giving me a longer stroke than previous. Seated a few to test my theroy and wal-la.. I think I figured it out. Time to buy a real priming tool I guess.....

Rod
I really love Lefse' !!!
Nodak7mm

Post by Nodak7mm »

Acloco,

Evening sir, Ya you betcha, yu got er right. Family farm on the east side in TRF, been gone since 89 from the RRV. A couple yrs ago had a chance to x-fer to the FM area and jumped at it as wifey is from north of the forks.. Glad to have made your aqaintence.... :D

Fargo is seriously booming and growing, wow has it changed!!!

Rod
I really love Lefse' !!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nodak: If price is not a huge issue, and you want the very best hand priming tool on the planet, consider the Sinclair unit. I used the little Lee unit for many years, and for the money it's a dandy unit. The Sinclair tool is all stainless steel, fully adustable for stroke, uses the Lee shellholders, and really gives the proper "feel" when seating primers. It's just the best priming tool I've ever used, period. Pricey, but will last you forever.

I notice your area, and wonder if you know a friend, Phil Johnston, the handgun editor for Gun Week and fellow PD shooting buddy? He's a PD fanatic, and usually can be found with a XP or Contender of one sort or another, giving Skippy and his pals a bad time of it. He's a Navy Sub Veteran, and his truck plate reads: SUBVET. Heck of a good guy and shoots very, very well.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Nodak7mm

Post by Nodak7mm »

Hi Rick,

Yep, I have been looking at the Sinclair since they offered it. But the handy dandy Lee unit just kept working and now I figured a way to keep it working.. But I think the Sinclair unit is going on the X-mas wish list regardless.

Regarding Mr. Johnston, if I am thinking of the same one, he lives in/near Forest River. I actually farmed in that are for appx 5 yrs and know of him, but never met him. Kinda regret never meeting him when I lived up there.

Rod
I really love Lefse' !!!