Forster bump neck sizer Die

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Lee C.

Forster bump neck sizer Die

Post by Lee C. »

I was looking at trying one of these dies out for my 223. But i was looking to see if any one here has tryed them out yet. Thanks for any in put on this die good or bad. It's the one you can bump the shoulder back just alittle. With a bushing in it to size the neck at the same time. Thanks Lee
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Forster bump neck sizer Die

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Lee
I have 3 Forster bump dies and they ALL work very well. I only use them to bump the shoulder back. I have other dies for sizing. Now that I have the bump dies...cant reload without :roll:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Thank's for your reply Mike, I do have a redding competition seater die for my 223. But i thought i would try out the forster bump die to see how they would out. Thanks agine,
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

I'm courious about a shoulder bump die also, but I went to the Forester web site and they did'nt show any. How do I go about getting one - for my 204 ? :?: Thanks again fella's.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Welcome to the forum greystone, If you go to sinclair International web page they have them forster bump dies for $50.25 and i see midway wants $70.00 for one. I'm going to call today for the two i need.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

The reason for the extra $20 price on Midways die is because it comes with 3 bushings. Sinclair sells without Bushings. I on the other hand just use the die to bump the shoulders back. If that's YOUR plan, NO bushings are needed.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

josebd2006

Post by josebd2006 »

so you use this just like a regular neck sizing die if you dont want to fl resize your brass?
josebd2006

Post by josebd2006 »

how do pick which bushing you need?measure the outside or inside after sizing?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

josebd2006 wrote:how do pick which bushing you need?measure the outside or inside after sizing?
EXCELLENT question. Check Redding's site for a little bit of info.

#1 - ALL of your brass has to measure the same outside diameter when loaded with a bullet. Otherwise, you will need more than one or five bushings AND need to segregate your brass.

Seems that I have to order THREE sizes. I use 0.001" for nekid bullets and 0.002 for WS2 coated bullets.

Regardless of what is stated in reloading manuals, internet, etc....I do turn the necks on my brass...just a light skim (0.001-0.003") ....even if this is a factory barrel.

When necksizing, you do need to very lightly lube the outside of the neck if using a steel bushing.

Also, when necksizing, some people decap the brass with a decapping die so that the shaped of the fired brass and/or the neck is not disturbed by the resizing button. An alternative, and to save a step, use a 17 cal sizing button in your 204 so that the inside of the neck is not disturbed.
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

Question, again, if I may. :) If I bump the shoulder back on the case just a wee bit, won't that cause the body to swell some too ? And cause the cartridge to chamber hard, or is that not a problem ? I assume that how I would go about it is to bump the shoulder back with one die then switch to my Lee die and collet neck size the neck right ? :mrgreen: I guess maybe if I just very slightly bump the shoulder to where it is snug in the chamber it won't cause the body to bulg out enough to amount to anything ? Or am I on the wrong page again ? :chin:
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

cshooter
I just did some testing on body swell with some scrap brass. The result was NO body swell at all pushing the shoulders back .005.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

cshooter

Post by cshooter »

Thanks, Hawkeye. Question answered. I'll see about getting a bump die.