Promising start

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Kiwishooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber Pro Varmint .204 & Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16 x 40

Promising start

Post by Kiwishooter »

Hi to all you fellow .204 Shooters.

I am the very proud owner of a Kimber Pro Varmint in .204, brought it brand new. I also picked up a brand new Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x 40. She's a beautiful rig, I'm sure that you will agree, I took the pics first time at the range.

Broke in the barrel with 60 rounds of the Sellier & Bellot ammunition, pushing the 32gr Sierra Blitzking at a chronographed 3996 average velocity for 5 shots out of the 22 inch barrel. Barrel was easy to run in, I'm very impressed with how easy it was to run in actually. I put 60 rounds through it last Sunday at the range, and now I run a patch with Butchs Bore Shine through the barrel, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then after 4-5 patches, she is clean as a whistle.

So today was another chance to get out to the range, this time with some handloads I worked up yesterday. After reading such good reports, I settled on the 39gr Sierra Blitzking. As far as powder, I have a near full tin of BLC-2, primers were Federal 205's. Cases were the afore mentioned Sellier & Bellot.

I loaded up 30 rounds, in groups of 5 of 29.6, 29.7, 29.8, 29.9, 30.0 & 30.3. The enclosed target is 29.8grs. OAL for these loads were 2.280, which was the maximum length in the Kimbers magazine

I created the target shown on AutoCAD. Each square is 1/2 MOA. (Target was shot at 100 yards).

I didn't hold out much hope for these loads actually, because the runout on 90% was quite bad, infact some of the loads were over .010 in runout on my RCBS case master! This was due to the way I had set up my Hornady Die, and I know how to cure this.

Of the loads I shot, the 29.8 gr load is the most promising. Actually, the first and second shots of the 29.8, 29.9 and 30.0 all were virtually through the same hole, but the dispersion of the next 3 shots was better with the 29.8 gr load.

I am hoping that with the runout problem cured & down to .002 or .003, the dispersion of the 5 shots will be alot tighter, I would like some feedback on whether or not you all think that this is the reason for the last 3 shots to be away from the first 2. What other factors cause this as well.

Looking forward to your advice.

Regards,

Michael.
Lee C.

Re: Promising start

Post by Lee C. »

Michael, try shooting a group now with your run out down. If that dosen't help play with your bullet seating. But only one thing at a time so you know what is helping. Or try a different power mabe.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Lee C. wrote:Michael, try shooting a group now with your run out down. If that dosen't help play with your bullet seating. But only one thing at a time so you know what is helping. Or try a different power mabe.
+1

??? We're you cleaning the bore between each group?
Just seems an odd coincidence that the first two shots of three charges in a row would go through the same hole and then open up.
It could be a coincidence or it could be your barrels way of telling you it does not fully appreciate the fouling characteristics of BL-C2.
You say you have an easy cleaning barrel. Thats half the battle won. Burn up some more BL-C2 and then consider switching to a cleaner burning powder such as an Hodgen Extreme if the BL doesn't tighten up.

How were the groups using the S&B 32's?

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Kiwishooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber Pro Varmint .204 & Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16 x 40

Post by Kiwishooter »

Yes I was cleaning my barrel between each group. And letting the barrel cool down too.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

OK This could be interesting. If it were me..
I'd load up 10rds of each charge 29.7 29.8 29.9 30.0 with your new improved run out.
Shoot the first five of each charge exactly the same way you did the first time,clean every five and cool. This should show if the run out factor helps improve things.
Keep your eyes peeled for patterns such as shot 1+2 grouping tight. Being able to reliably see your hits and deciphering repeating patterns is a big plus in developing loads ;)

Repeat the test but shoot the rest of the loads without cleaning. This should tell you if the tube will settle down with BLC-2 in it or get worse.
Might sound like a waste of components but it should be educational and in the long run will save you $$$

If you see shots 1+2 repeat their past performance and nothing pans out with a dirty barrel BLC-2 is not the powder for you.

I also noticed you were loading charges every .1gns then jumped from 30.0 to 30.3. Be careful with BL. Its the one powder that I've tried that seems to go from safe to dangerous really fast.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Nice looking shooter Mr. Kiwi!