Compressed load

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Compressed load

Post by foxwhistler »

I`ve just got a question about the load data for H4895.I`m currently using a load of 28.2 grains of this powder behind a 35 grain berger and so far the results are promising,with one 5 shot group at 0.485.Just trying to play with the overall length now to see if i can improve this still further.
My question is that 28.2 grains of H4895 is according to the data a compressed load ,but when i load it,it barely reaches the neck of the case.Is this down to the brass being fireformed instead of new brass,or is there somrthing wrong with my scales? :?
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
WHISTLEPIG

Re: Compressed load

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Foxwhistler, I have loaded thousands of rounds with 28.2 gr of h4895. Depending on how the powder is swirled into the case, it generally comes just to the bottom of the case neck. I weigh every charge. I read the compressed load deal on Hodgens website. The load may be a little compressed depending on seating depth. I think it is about a perfect fit of powder to case and have very good accuracy with it. I would verify your scale with check weights if you have a doubt as to it’s accuracy.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

You also need to consider what temperatures the loads are done at. The warmer the powder gets the larger the individual granules become. The larger granules still weigh the same but now take up more space. Is it enough to cause a load to go from non-compressed to compressed??? I'll look into that this evening when I get home from work.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

foxwhistler--I don't think there is anything wrong with your scale, but you can buy an inexpensive set of check weights just to make sure. Check weights are a good investment and could help prevent a reloading accident.

As WHISTLEPIG mentioned, 28.2 gr. of H4895 is far from a compressed charge in the .204 Ruger casings that I work with, which are the Winchester and Hornady. Heck, you can even get considerably more H4895 in a .204 Ruger casing, like up to 29.0 gr. without the powder being compressed or touched by the bullet. At least that has been my experience. You may have to pour the powder from the pan onto the sides of the funnel so the kernels swirl down the throat of the funnel and into the casing.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Thanks for the replies.I dont think the scales are out by what you say.There a new set of redding scales and when i tried weighing several bullets,they seemed accurate.Its just that when i read compressed load,i was thinking it would nearly fill the case to the top.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!