primer pockets on Rem brass

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
jbrown

primer pockets on Rem brass

Post by jbrown »

I normally square all primer pockets on new brass, and use the tool to clean out pockets on fired brass also. I have had a problem with rem brass in that the pockets are over sized after squaring up. ( my load is 28.2 gr of h4895 w/39 Blitz King, and Rem 7 1/2 primers.)Several rounds would not hold primers, causing a mess. I do not have this problem with Win brass. Anyone one else had this problem w/ rem brass ? JB
The road goes on forever, and the party never ends.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: primer pockets on Rem brass

Post by acloco »

jbrown - you are a bit over the max recommended load on your powder.

I only use 27.0-27.4 of H4895 with a 39 or 40 gr bullet.

27.7C of H4895 is a compressed load if you are using recommended seating depths. Half a grain in small cartridges is a LOT in terms of pressure. Copied the info from the 204 Load Data info at the top of the page.

"40 Gr. Hornady V-Max
H4895
2.250"
45,500 PSI
27.7C
56,000 PSI "
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

That is a stiff load of h4895 with a 39bk. I shoot 27.0 for an average of 3650. I went up to 27.6 with a few ugly signs for an average of 3811. Extra pressure was not worth it. My best accuracy was at 27.0. Primer pockets have been fine.
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

I am aware of the my load being a bit hot. I have no pressure signs in this load out of my Kimberand have shot it for over a year with excellent results on the coyotes down here. It was a little much for the grey's.
But this problem is not due to excessive pressure. This was occuring with new unfired brass. It seems the Rem brass is 1 to 2 thousandths over size from the start. no problem with Win brass on the pockeas far as uniforming. JB
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Maybe it would be good to stick with the WW brass. I have had no problems with it except for culling out a few cases on initial inspection and then a few which are just not ever going to be concentric. When I started out a couple of years ago with the 204 I bought some Remington brass, and after some initial measurements, I took it back and got the WW. I fully prep mine, including a light neck turn. I anneal after five firings and have yet to loose a case from a split although I have found a few split necks on unfired cases right out of the bag. I have fully prepped 1600 new WW cases and I’m working through them in a couple of batches from eight times fired to once fired. With the money I have saved over the higher priced offerings I have bought a lot of bullets and killed a few squirrels. I sure did not mean to imply that you did not know what you were doing with your load.
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

Whistlepig, no offense taken here. (when you type something it is hard to get the tone of how you are saying something across, hope I did not sound rude) I appreciate your comments. I was just curious if any one had this problem with the Rem brass. The win brass is as you said, a few that went past QC, but overall better than the Rem brass. Thanks JB
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

jbrown wrote:I am aware of the my load being a bit hot. I have no pressure signs in this load ...
Except for stretched primer pockets?
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

WrzWaldo, Read it again, "this was unfired brass", can't have stretched primer pockets iif they have not been fired. Right ? JB
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

jbrown wrote:WrzWaldo, Read it again, "this was unfired brass", can't have stretched primer pockets iif they have not been fired. Right ? JB
Will do... Where are you quoting this from? "this was unfired brass"

What I thought you said was...
I normally square all primer pockets on new brass, and use the tool to clean out pockets on fired brass also. I have had a problem with rem brass in that the pockets are over sized after squaring up. ( my load is 28.2 gr of h4895 w/39 Blitz King, and Rem 7 1/2 primers.)Several rounds would not hold primers, causing a mess. I do not have this problem with Win brass. Anyone one else had this problem w/ rem brass ? JB
Sounded like you used it on new and fired brass?? Granted you did say the pockets were over-size after squaring the pockets but I was not clear on the fact that "this was unfired brass" as the word "unfired" did not appear in your opening post. Hey I'm confident you'll get it figured out. Good luck. :wink: