about RE-10x

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

about RE-10x

Post by cshooter »

about RE-10x. Is it just me or does this powder seem to dirty up the bore quicker than other powders ? Seems like I have to clean more when shooting it before groups really scatter. I like RE-10x but I can't seem to get my gun to like any combination with it enyhow. ( unless anybody has any ideas)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: about RE-10x

Post by futuretrades »

if you can't get it to shoot like you want it to, why keep messing with it. if it were me i would try a different powder, or maybe try different bullets!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

cshooter,

Tell us about your rifle and selection of shooting components. Brass, primers, seating depth...

WW
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

Well, I have a Ruger MK II,24 " standard, blued barrel, Timney trigger, glass bedded stock, 3x9 Legend scope. I have tried RE-10x, Varget, Benchmark, IMR 4198, 748, H335, and H322. Can't find any H4895 in my area so far. I have tried the 39 BK, 35 Berger HP, 40 V-max, and the 32 Nosler BT. I use mostly Win brass or Hornady. Only WSR's used for primers. The 39 gr BK's and RE-10x have given me the best groups so far. But the best load I have still does'nt print consistant groups every time. They always have flyers. I average 1 1/2 - 2 " @ 100 yrd and more than double that at 200. I'm about ready to give up on the rifle to be honest with you. There may be one hope of getting this rifle to shoot good if it's not a fluke. I got one 5 shot - 3/4" group @ 100 yesterday with 26 gr H322 & the 32 Nosler BT. If I can get anothe group or two like that, I'll start working up and down in .2 gr increments to refine it, if not, I'll be back to the drawing board like I have been the last 6 months.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

cshooter

I've been shooting RE-10X for some time now. It is one of my favorite powders. Yes, it does burn a little on the dirty side but the accuracy and velocity it produces are well worth running the brush down the bore a few extra strokes. I worked up a load that would shoot the 40 gr. Bergers and the 39 gr. Sierras into .3 at 100 yards. I have seen other members report the same load working well in their rifles as well. Try working up to 25.1 gr of RE-10X using CCI BR-4 or REM 7 1/2 primers with your favorite brass. Start 10 percent below maximum and work your way up in .2 gr. increments. I like to shoot 5 shot groups when load developing so I can rule out bad shooting a little. If you get two or three shots touching and the others open the group up, that load deserves a little more testing. I would then start playing with my seating depth starting at 2.250 and seating .005 longer each 5 shot group.

When you're load developing always use the ladder method in small increments. Never change two variables at the same time such as charge weight and seating depth. If you do, you'll never know which change produced what result.

I was able to reduce the number of fliers and their frequency by controlling runout. When you can get the runout and other variations out of your reloads your groups should show vast improvement. Everything must be exactly the same from round to round. I would highly recommend trying the Redding Comp seating die with micrometer top. This switch alone reduced my runout to about .001. Consistency is the name of the game with this little cartridge. Good luck.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

Thanks skipper, I have one load that gave me the first 6 shots almost touching every time. I think it is the 35 gr Berger & 25.5 gr of RE-10x. I would clean the barrel, shoot one shot to foul the barrel. Then the next 5-6 shots would either touch or just touch @ 100 yrds. At 200 the first 5 would group less than an inch. Then the next shots, with each shot that followed, would get wider and wider. Finally because I did'nt want to have to clean the barrel every 5 shots or so, I abandoned this load and moved on. But I guess I was too impaitent. I'll go back and take a look at that load. I've learned that getting good accuracy with the 204, at least in sporter weight barrels, is going to take patients and work. It's not an easy cartidge to get to preform I guess, especially when you're an idiot like me. I'm sorry that all you guys out there have had to listen to this dumb country clod go on about his problems with this gun. I guess I just have'nt understood a few simple things. Sorry about that.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

cshooter

I recently started using a thermometer to keep tabs on my barrel temperature. I have noticed my rifle really likes the temperature to hover around 90 degrees. This barrel is a 1.250 to .925 NBRSA HV straight taper Lilja three groove. The barrel is so thick it takes a couple of groups to get it up to temperature.

You might want to try this and see if your sporter weight barrel is getting too hot. Try to see what temperature the groups start opening up. Then you could use the thermometer to help you determine how long to wait between shots to hold the barrel temperature at optimum. Thin barrels get hot quickly.

That load of 25.5 gr. of RE-10X with the 35gr. Bergers is exactly what I used on my XR-100. Actually I used RE-10X with almost every weight bullet I shoot.

32 gr. Sierra - 26.0 gr. RE-10X, CCI BR-4
35 gr. Berger - 25.5 gr. RE-10X, CCI BR-4
39 gr. Sierra - 25.1 gr RE-10X, CCI BR-4
40 gr. Berger - 25.1 gr. RE-10X, CCI BR-4
45 gr. Hornady - 24.5 gr. RE-10X, CCI BR-4

I also had really good results with H4895 but not with all the bullets listed above so, I just concentrated on the RE-10X.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

Another good tip. I'll try that and see if I can determine a pattern. Come to think about it. I usually waite 5 to 7 minutes between shots in cloudy weather to make sure the barrel is cooled down. And when cool, the 5 or 6 shots after the fouling shot are very accurate. But I have noticed that when I don't waite more than a minute to shoot again, that my groups are very good, even after the 6th on up. Hmmm. You may be on to something. Thanks Skipper....