old powder

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

old powder

Post by cshooter »

I have a load that seems to have a possibility of showing good accuracy. The load is a 32 gr. Nosler BT with 26 gr H322. I need to do some more testing, but the H322 powder is old. I bought a couple pounds 15 years ago and it was old then. It is in square paper type cans. It's never been opened till now. The dealer I bought it from had it in a big safe with all his powder. I've had it on the shelf in my closet. The cans are in good shape. Is it O.K. to keep useing ? If it turns out to be a good load powder for me, will a can of new H322 preform the same in my gun or has Hodgden changed things in the last 25 years ?
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Re: old powder

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

Shouldn't be a problem. Smokeless powder usually has a long shelf life. Likely you'll know if it's gone bad - smells "wrong" or very fine reddish-brownish dust when you open and pour. As to old and new lots performing the same, testing is the only way to know for sure.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: old powder

Post by acloco »

CALL Hodgdon with the lot number on the side of the can (might be on bottom or top). They will provide load data.