Redding Comp. Dies

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Redding Comp. Dies

Post by dannybracy »

Hey guys, I am thinking about upgrading to the Competition dies over the Redding dies I am using now for my LRPV. I know that the Comp dies will allow for more precise control and precision but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a significant difference in accuracy and group sizes in their 204's when going from "standard" dies to the Competitions. Just wondering if anyone has noticed a big improvement when the switched. Thanks in advance. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Redding Comp. Dies

Post by acloco »

Dan,
Some improvement.... But, of anything that I have done...buy an aftermarket, quality barrel. Then....judge for yourself.

I get astounding accuracy out of a set of Hornady dies in my 223. Same with some standard RCBS dies in 223. I have not noticed any better accuracy when using the Redding Competition dies with the same rifle and load.
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

I noticed a huge difference in runout between the RCBS and the Redding comp dies. I improved so many different things back then that I can't attribute the improvement to any one thing. The Runout went from .003-.006 with the RCBS to .001-.002 with the Redding.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

My TIR went from .004" (sometimes a bit more) using RCBS dies to anywhere from .001" to .0005" with Redding Comp dies in my 204. Most of my other calibers reflected about the same difference.....BIG improvement, and I'll never go back.

But as acloco mentioned, the best single thing you can do is get a good quality aftermarket barrel and play with seating depth.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

oops
Last edited by Hawkeye Joe on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

A lot of other variables come into play when it comes to runout.In the press alone you have the Press ram,female threads, Die seat and shell holder. If your press is loose the comp die will help. And then it could be the brass causing it :x . Check the runout your getting now, If it's more than .002 get a Redding Comp die. It seemed to reduce the fliers for me,But like the others, I was changing things on a daily basis. I'm not sure if I could even find my old RCBS bullet seater :eew: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition