yesterdays target

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

yesterdays target

Post by ulen mn »

I had to go to the shop yesterday so I brought the 204 and some bullets that I had just hand loaded after making a couple of changes to them. the top target was shot on 12-11-2007 using 26.2gn of RL-10X and a BR-4 primer and a 32 honady v max coal was 2.260 they chronographed at 3899 average on 5 shots. when I was looking at my brass it seems that I was to aggressive with the dechampering tool and had the neks pretty messed up I called coy over at CCI and he said to trim them down to get them straight agian and keep a close eye on them I retimmed my brass to 1.8315 to get the necks true agian. I then used a RCBS primer pocket unifier on them I have never done this step before, used the same throw of 26.2 of RL-10X and BR-4 primer and a 32 hornady v-max but increased my coal to 2.282 and I think it made a big difference just by looking at the bottom target 5 shot group. Both targets shot at 100 yards 12-11-2007 was 11 degrees out and yesterday was around 23 degrees out
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
hozz57

Re: yesterdays target

Post by hozz57 »

Both targets shot at 100 yards 12-11-2007 was 11 degrees out and yesterday was around 23 degrees out
:eek:

BRRRRR How much do you allow for the "Shivver Factor" when you're measuring those groups.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

ulen mn--It looks like you are getting that rifle and load figured out. You REALLY did have quite a noticeable improvement in accuracy. Good Job!!!

In the future, might I suggest when you make changes in any of your input factors for reloading, that you change only one thing at a time. When you changed the casing length and seating depth at the same time, it makes it impossible to know which of those factors helped improve your accuracy.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

Silverfox I thought about that after I did all the changes then it was to late but thankyou for reminding me to do one thing at a time to find what improve accuracy and what dont do anything. Funny thing about this hand loading the more accurate I get the more confidence I get in my shooting ability and in my rifle. Hozz57 around here that is a heat wave(if the wind isnt blowing) it really sucks having to take a battery out of your pocket every five rounds to keep the chronograph going though and when sunset comes temps. drop fast.
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member