Upgrade to digital scale system

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Upgrade to digital scale system

Post by Gube »

I am looking to do an upgrade from my balance beam system to a digital and auto dispencing system. Our local retailers carry two major models.
The Lyman 1200 DPS 3 and the RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser and scale (1500).
Anybody have any pros or cons between the two.
Will they speed up loading time (I weigh every charge) or should I just stick to the ole trusty balance beams and tricklers for accuracy with weighted charges.
Savage Vaporizer
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Upgrade to digital scale system

Post by acloco »

Neither. I owned 2 different DPS 2's and three different (new!) Chargemaster combos - in my experience, they were not accurate.

There is a couple threads on the web describing how to fix the RCBS unit (put a restriction in the tube) and this supposedly helps.

I have a problem spending $300 on a tool that is not engineered correctly from the beginning.

Also, look at the warranty given from each company.

I still have a couple beam scales, but, did purchase an Acculab scale. The ACC is accurate to 0.02 (two HUNDRETHS) of a grain. 0.02 of H4895 is two kernels. The other brands are only accurate to 0.05 I believe.... plus/minus a tenth of a grain. So, this means you can be off a total of three tenths of a grain ( - 0.15 to + 0.15).

There is a great article on 6mmbr.com for info and comparison.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I had an old RCBS, which Katrina swept away, and I've since bought a new model Chargemaster and am very happy with it. I use several powders and reload for a half dozen cartridges, and it works for me. It's easy to change powder, and dispense charges. Occasionally it'll fill the pan a tenth high, but very rarely. I've got a nice Harrell's on a shelf, and wouldn't go back to it, unless the power's out or the RCBS needs repair....which it hasn't in almost a year that I"ve had it. JMO....YMMV. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

I've got an RCBS set (scale and dispenser teamed up) and an old Lyman (LE1000 I think) scale and I like just the scale better. Set up your dispenser about .5 grain below your charge, put it on the scale and bring it up to weight with a trickler. I've found that to be quicker and more hassle free.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Save your money and stay with your beam scale cube. I've got the rcbs 1500 and i use it pretty much like sagebrush dose. The one i've got ain't even close to being accurate.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I see there are both "pros and cons" for both sides. I'd hate to spend that kind of money only to find out it does not meet my expectations. I will need to do further research.
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.
Savage Vaporizer
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

I have the new model Pact and found it to be just as accurate as my beam scale. It has to be on a stable surface ( I use our granite counter top) and no air currents. Yes, certain powders can be slightly cumbersome. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

I have the RCBS powder dispencer and scale teamed up also it came with the hand loading kit that I bought. the other day I loaded up 20 rounds and it over shot the powder on 3 of them by .1 I just pour the powder back in and throw another charge no big deal to me maybe others would find this not exeptible it no big deal to me. it is easy to empty un used powder back into the container and easy to clean up I like the memory function of it that I can put in the loads I thow the most and just go to it in memory and it is ready to throw charges. just my 2cents worth Ulen mn
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
berettabob

Post by berettabob »

I have been using the lyman for 2 years, recently got the little upgrade kit and it sped up appreciably. I have no complaints as it is accurate and fast.