reloading for autoloaders

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Hutch20

reloading for autoloaders

Post by Hutch20 »

Was wonderin if any of you black rifle shooters have any "special" techniques.

Been a long time since i reloaded for an autoloader, that was dad's M1A NM. Man that thing would shoot.

Well, any experiances would be greatly appreciated.

Hutch
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: reloading for autoloaders

Post by Hotshot »

I loaded for years to feed 3 AR-15's in 223. I learned to full length resize, trim and seat bullets to spec for OAL. Just like remanufacturing a new round each time you load 'em. I also found them to be powder and bullet specific for reliable functioning. Mine liked H335 (25.5 grains) and 55 Sierra's. Other powder and bullets didn't necessarily interchange. For bench shooting targets and prairie dogs I loaded single shot with the help of a single shot adapter and a through-the-trigger-guard bolt release from the Bushmaster catalog. I still had to full length resize but I could seat the bullets any length I wanted. If you leave the brass a little long or don't resize the bolt may not close all the way and the forward assist is worthless for a brass that is too tight. I think the critical factor for powder and bullet combo's is the right presure curve to work the action. I no longer use AR's but I certainly had a bunch of fun for the years I did have them. Never shot one single round of factory- I loaded every round fired.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hutch: Like Hotshot, I don't shoot black rifles any more. But one thing I remember is that in all my M16's and AR's, the best functioning powder was WW-748 that approximated the military ball powder used in military powder, and the use of 55 grain bullets, with a light crimp in the cannalure groove. The AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) for many years used that powder exclusively.

Like Hotshot said, case length, full length sizing and consistency are very important. As there are alot of black rifle shooters here, I'm sure you'll get more tips.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Hutch20, I reload for 4.5 ARs of different twist rates, from 1/7 to 1/14, and two different calibers (.204 & .223).

I Full Length resize each case and I usually trim .1 less than published spec. Most of my accuracy loads run from 1 to 1/2 grain less than most published max loads.

I'm finding better success with CCI magnum primers and they are reported to be more reliable in the auto loaders with less chance of a slam fire due to the floating firing pin.

I've never had a problem with the standard primers, but have witnessed other shooters having a slam fire in an action competition and that's an automatic disqualification

Winchester 748 is my go-to standby powder and Ramshot is putting out their Tac and Xterminator that will do pretty close and they both meter very well (like water)..
AR
Factory/Factory
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Hutch, I don't have any special techniqes. I have only tried H4895 and Re10x almost exclusively in new Win. brass. CCI 450s only. (I have a brick of Fed 205s that I've not started on yet) And I have tried both Vmaxes and both Blitzkings and am just starting with Bergers. I have had no issues at all with reliabilty until the action gets very dirty and by then I know when a jam is coming. I full length size every round also and have not had to trim any brass yet. I also find my best groups right up around MAX.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.