Neck Tension #2!

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
msphotog
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Custom built AR-15

Neck Tension #2!

Post by msphotog »

I know that the neck tension question has been worked to death, but I have a variation on that question. First, I'm using Norma brass. I originally bought a .224 neck bushing, but realized it was too tight, so I remeasured a loaded case, subtracted .001, and ordered a .228, and then a .227 bushing. The .228 bushing was way too big, so I've been using the .227. Even with the .227 bushing the necks measure .226 after sizing, and some of the bullets were so loose I could easily push the bullet in the case with a finger. Some are tighter, some looser. BTW, I'm using a Redding sizer, if it matters.
I'm not neck turning my brass because of my chamber size -.232.
My question is this: Should I try a .225 or a .226 bushing to get my neck tension uniform? Will this affect my charge, or just (maybe) tighten my groups? Should I neck turn the brass anyway?

Thanks for all your advice!

Mark S.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Neck Tension #2!

Post by skipper »

All my experimentation with bullet seating and neck tension have lead me to realize that more neck tension will reduce your Extreme Spread and tighten your groups, especially at longer distances.

I'm currently loading Norma brass for my tight necked (.228) chamber Panda. I neck turn my brass to .011 which leaves .001 clearance all the way around between neck and chamber. I am currently using a .223 bushing for a little more neck tension. With my K&M arbor press I'm only measuring 25 pounds of force needed to get the bullets started into the case neck. I have a .222 bushing on back order so I can try even more neck tension. I'm also jamming my bullets .015 into the lands. The combination of increased neck tension and jamming the bullets hard into the lands has really done the trick for me.

If I were you I would try the .224 bushing and make note of any changes in velocity spreads from the .227 bushing. I believe you will find that the .224 bushing will produce better results. I would also turn the necks just enough to achieve a uniform thickness, tension and release. No need to take much off with a .232 chamber. You might even try sizing only half of the neck to keep the case better centered in the chamber.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
msphotog
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Custom built AR-15

Re: Neck Tension #2!

Post by msphotog »

Hold'em- Thanks for the advice, I think I'll load up the next batch with the .224 bushing and see what happens.

Mark S.