Accuracy of 40gr Bergers vs 35gr Bergers

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Accuracy of 40gr Bergers vs 35gr Bergers

Post by Hotshot »

What an eye opener that target is! If I would have shot that 27 grain load I would have quit that bullet-powder combination and not tried it again. What a difference 1 grain can make. Thanks for the info.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Prdtrgttr

Your target looks like a classic example of a barrel rebelling against high velocity and clean burning powder. To get a huge dispersion in results like that with the same powder/bullet combo drastically changing bore conditions must be evident.
What other high velocity loads have you used with success?

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Prdtrgttr

Post by Prdtrgttr »

jo191145 wrote:Prdtrgttr

Your target looks like a classic example of a barrel rebelling against high velocity and clean burning powder. To get a huge dispersion in results like that with the same powder/bullet combo drastically changing bore conditions must be evident.
What other high velocity loads have you used with success?
Not sure what you mean by high velocity loads... however, this gun has never liked loads at the upper limit of recommended max loads, whether it be Varget or H4895
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Err Maybe higher velocity loads would be more appropriate.
What I'm getting at is I've never seen groups open up like that unless copper fouling is causing it.
If you think I may be right you might want to try a ball powder.
H-355
Win-748
BL-C2 are a few.
A little extra carbon can sometimes help control copper fouling.
Working up from a starter charge your barrel will accumulate more carbon than using Hodgen Extremes.
When you reach the upper loads your bullet will be riding over a layer of carbon instead of steel.
Biggest problem is if you find a fast load you probably will need to shoot some mild foulers to carbon up the bore after cleaning.

If this is a new barrel after a pound of ball it should smooth up enough to switch back.

Of course that 26.0 charge looks great as is :) I'd be interested in seeing what 20-25 rds of that charge would do.

If that 26.0 will hold together for 20 or more rds try the 28.0 again without cleaning the barrel. I'll bet it groups tighter than before except for maybe the first shot which might fly. Just an interesting test IMO.

bushymonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 204 Fluted 24" Match Grade Beauty

Post by bushymonster »

I am shooting a T/C 204 Contender. The barrel was made by Match Grade Machinery it is 24 inch" and has six flutes and is molly chrome. I was breaking it in shooting one and clean for 10rds and then 3rds and clean and the three shot groups were from a nickel to a fifty cent piece. I like it but want some good loads. I have a box of 40grn Bergers and I also have Sierra and Hornady. The rounds I was shooting was put out by HSM. One box is 40grn Hornady and the other box are 50grn Calhoons, a double hollow point made of nickel. I just need powder types and grains to use on what. I have Varget, BLC-2, Benchmark,Tac and I was going to get some H4895 and thinking about some REL 10. Help guys, PLEASE!!!
:huh: :oops: :mad: :huh: :lol: :idea: :duh: :duh: :duh: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Welcome to the forum bushymonster

Pick any one of the powders you mentioned.
Lets start with the Sierras 39? or 32?. Does'nt really matter anyway.
Load 6 rds with the starting charge. See 204 Load Data link on top of page.
Load 1 rd each in .2gn increments until you get to the max charge.

At 200yds shoot five of the starting charges out of a clean barrel. These rds are to foul/condition the bore and get it roughly sighted in.

Now its time to have fun. With a blank piece of paper and a single bullseye (I draw a circle with a sharpie) shoot the last starting charge at the bull. On a seperate duplicate target on the bench mark the point of impact of your first shot. (Hope you have enough scope)
Now proceed to shoot the rest of the incremental loads (In order of course) marking each shots POI with the corresponding number.

What your looking for is clumps(groups) of sequential shots that grouped tightly. Those are the nodes. 3 or 4 or more shots in order tightly grouped is what your looking for.
Pick the charge weight in the middle of that node(s) and load some up. They should shoot pretty good as is. Want better, slight tweaking should help.

Thats an Audette ladder test. A chrono is nice but not necessary. I personally use .3gn increments but .2 is considered normal in a case capacity like the 204.
I use .3 to cut down on the number of shots needed. Those .20cal holes can get pretty confusing when things are grouping tight.
Shoot enough of them and you'll be able to tell if a particular bullet/powder combo is ever going to work in your gun. So far I know the 40 V-max will not work in mine but it likes the 40 Bergs (currently with 25.3gns of Benchmark)