Neck tension question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Neck tension question

Post by KVW »

Hey Guy's, I think that I might have screwed up my full length resizing die. :wall: I turned down my expander ball on it so I could just neck size my brass. B-4 I did this I was getting about .004 neck tension. Now It is close to .008 tension. Has anyone else done this to their dies? If so what kind of results have you gotten. I was told by someone else that the expander ball overworks the brass so just turn it down to do away with it. I'm a little nervous about that much tension on the neck. Feedback would be greatly appreciated before I go buy a new one. :)

Thanks
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Neck tension question

Post by WrzWaldo »

Normally you would only mess with the expander ball on a bushing die. You will probably want to get a new decapper/expander ball assembly. If you are using a bushing die just get the proper bushing/s. What die are you using?

That much tension will = working the brass almost as much as the expander ball.
KVW

Post by KVW »

It's just the standard RCBS. I was looking for an excuse to get a bushing die so now I have it :lol: Hope the wife understands. I sometimes wonder why I listen to people before I ask the question to you guys. :chin: Oh well. Chalk that up to lesson learned. From now on I come here for advise before I screw things up.

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

DON'T tell her you did it. Use these words....

"I knew I should have just bought the best the first time"

Trust me....

oh..ok...she probably knows you already! :)
KVW

Post by KVW »

She don't know yet but probably will later when she see's the cc bill. :lol: Have any of you guys ever tried the RCBS x size die? Cabelas have them and I'm wondering if they work that well.

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

My preference is the Redding neck sizing dies.

I have NOT tried the X die, just the regular RCBS neck die.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Redding S type.....
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
KVW

Post by KVW »

Hey acloco, with the rcbs neck die can you bump the shoulders back with it when the need arises? As for the redding I'm not sure that I need that at this time. I've got along fine with the standard rcbs. Who knows. You guys just might talk me into it.

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

KVW Unless theres a brand new RCBS X neck sizing die available you got some wrong info. The X die is a full length sizing die. Supposedly helps eliminate case growth :chin: Only way I can figure to do that is to have an extra lip inside the neck of the die that would push back the case mouth when it got to a certain length. Not a situation conducive to top accuracy no matter what RCBS might claim. Almost seems like that would create a roll crimp before seating the bullet :eew:
The RCBS product site is down at this time so I could not check further into this die.

Forster and Hornady both offer shoulder bumping neck sizing dies now. Not entirely sure they're available in 204.
Did someone mention Redding? It seems vaguely familiar. If not here goes REDDING!!!! :P
Out of the box ready to go Redding is the one.
I just received some econo Hornady New Dimension Competition dies for my 6.5X284. Both the sizer and seater needed a little work before they were ready to load. With only 700-1000 rds of barrel life I did'nt want to spend a lot of cash on dies.

A Redding neck sizer ( or just about any die) will bump the shoulders if you stone down your shell holder ;) ;)
Mine does anyway. Takes a bit of stoning and checking but it does work. I haven't FL sized the 204 in years unless I'm switching brass amongst different barrels.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
KVW

Post by KVW »

Okay, Ya'll talked me into it. I'm getting the Redding. :mrgreen:

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

KVW

You just made a very good decision. It's better to buy the right equipment the first time than to have to buy twice when the first one isn't up to your standards. You won't regret buying the Redding. Compare it to your other dies. Never mind, the difference will be obvious as soon as you see it. I've got a Gold Medal Match grade RCBS die that sits on the shelf collecting dust. It can't compare to the Redding.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em