Calhoon to make Poly tip bullets

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Calhoon to make Poly tip bullets

Post by WrzWaldo »

Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Re: Calhoon to make Poly tip bullets

Post by Robert harrel »

the only calhoon bullets i have tried were the 36 gr in hsm ammo it was not to bad
but still great news
our selection of bullets just keep growing i wish winchester would start marketing the 32 combined tech ballistic tip and barnes with varmint grernade
looks like the 204 is here to stay :D
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

The plastic tip will help with the BC of his bullets, for sure. For the most part, that's wasted out to 300 yards, but it WILL help him sell bullets. I just hope it doesn't price them out of the market. I've got a pack of 37 gr. DHPs here right now, a gift from a friend, that work pretty good in my .221 Fireball :D Cute little things, but a polytip would sure make them sporty. I prefer a little heavier bullet, but for free, I won't fuss.............
Still, his bullets cost as much as V Maxes already, and I hope he can keep his prices in line, so it won't fudge up the .19 caliber guys, and the rest of us. From all accounts, he's a heck of a nice guy, and I wish him the best.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

glenn asher wrote:............. Still, his bullets cost as much as V Maxes already, and I hope he can keep his prices in line, so it won't fudge up the .19 caliber guys, and the rest of us. From all accounts, he's a heck of a nice guy, and I wish him the best.
Anytime a custom or semi-custom bullet maker can sell bullets that are competitively priced with a mass producer like Hornady, he's doing everyone a favor as he's not getting rich on the endeavor...

-BCB
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

Anytime a custom or semi-custom bullet maker can sell bullets that are competitively priced with a mass producer like Hornady, he's doing everyone a favor as he's not getting rich on the endeavor...

-BCB[/quote]

I just checked Midsouth and they're getting $30.32 for a 250 count box of the 40 Vmax. $37.45 for a box of 250 of Calhoun's 39gr DBL-HP. That's not competative. Now against Sierra's 39gr BK he's competative.

Tom
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Ohlsen wrote:Anytime a custom or semi-custom bullet maker can sell bullets that are competitively priced with a mass producer like Hornady, he's doing everyone a favor as he's not getting rich on the endeavor...

-BCB
I just checked Midsouth and they're getting $30.32 for a 250 count box of the 40 Vmax. $37.45 for a box of 250 of Calhoun's 39gr DBL-HP. That's not competative. Now against Sierra's 39gr BK he's competative.

Tom[/quote]

I was making my statement solely based on the information glennasher provided.....I didn't do any price comparisons.

My point is this: It involves time to make a good custom bullet one at a time, and custom made bullets are worth the extra cost versus the cost of a mass produced bullet.

A good custom made bullet will outshoot any and all factory bullets just about any day of the week if your rifle is accurate enough in itself to see the difference...... Most factory rifles aren't that accurate to begin with.

However, if your rilfe is accurate enough to see the difference, you will fully appreciate a good custom bullet and be more than willing to pay extra for them. They're worth it....

-BCB
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

At the cost of this endeavor in the first place, 3$ a hundred more for a better bullet is the best value you can find. Never scrimp on the cost of your barrel or your bullets unless you are competing with me, in which case, save save save.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Ditto on the nice guy comment. I got turned off by some of his early 22 cal bullets for various reasons and haven't tried his recent stuff. Personally, I think 35-36 grain with a plastic tip might be perfect prairie dog bullets for the 12 twist barrel. But, besides price issues, I want to know the bullets are readily available after I spend the effort working up an efficient load for my gun and need 1000 to get ready for a prairie dog trip. I still hold a grudge against Nosler for the shortages of their btips in the 80's. I spent weeks working up loads for 3 rifles, then couldn't get any bullets to load the quantity I needed for a summer of shooting. When vmax's came out I could always find enough for my needs and always at a better price, same with bkings when they came out. I'll wait and see.
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

Bayou City Boy wrote:
Ohlsen wrote:Anytime a custom or semi-custom bullet maker can sell bullets that are competitively priced with a mass producer like Hornady, he's doing everyone a favor as he's not getting rich on the endeavor...

-BCB

Tom
I was making my statement solely based on the information glennasher provided.....I didn't do any price comparisons.

My point is this: It involves time to make a good custom bullet one at a time, and custom made bullets are worth the extra cost versus the cost of a mass produced bullet.

A good custom made bullet will outshoot any and all factory bullets just about any day of the week if your rifle is accurate enough in itself to see the difference...... Most factory rifles aren't that accurate to begin with.

However, if your rilfe is accurate enough to see the difference, you will fully appreciate a good custom bullet and be more than willing to pay extra for them. They're worth it....

-BCB[/quote]

BCB, maybe Calhoun has changed how his bullets are made now, but a few years ago a couple of us guys got together and ordered some of his .22 caliber bullets in various weights. To say we were not impressed is putting it mildly. I would not put his bullets in the same league as Barts or Fowlers or Zia's. Matter of fact I wouldn't even compare them to Noslers Ballistic Tips.

Ohlsen
willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Post by willyp19 »

Is anyone going to place an order for some of his bullets? I'd sure like to try some?