The 204um Challenge Winner's Circle

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
jo191145

Re: The 204um Challenge Winner's Circle

Post by jo191145 »

I'd like to congratulate Mike for another awesome performance and ALL the competitors who entered. :salute:
The lines from Teddy Roosevelt Skipper posted in the other Challenge thread says it all eloquently.

Of course much Thanks must go out to Skipper for putting on the show. Through a devestating hurricane and the resultant overtime work hours he did a flawless job. Kudos Skipper. :salute:

I have but three questions.
Whats next?
Whats next?
Whats next? :lol: :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Benchrest shooters sometimes shoot for groups but they also shoot for score. I was thinking of a way to combine the best of both. Maybe one shot at each of ten separate bullseyes and incorporate a group score in on top of that. We'll have to see what I can come up with. But, of course, you can bet it will be a Challenge.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

skipper wrote:Benchrest shooters sometimes shoot for groups but they also shoot for score. I was thinking of a way to combine the best of both. Maybe one shot at each of ten separate bullseyes and incorporate a group score in on top of that. We'll have to see what I can come up with. But, of course, you can bet it will be a Challenge.
YAY!

Can't wait for this one! :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

Ya'll (that's "yous guys" for all you North of the Mason Dixon) take a look at page one of this thread. Scootertrash is sporting his new event icon. I didn't want to be the first. Well, I don't want to be the last either SO ya'll send me your email address so I can get those files out to you.

Prizes will go in the mail next wek. Custom made funnels by Robert Harrel to all the first in class winners AND Hawkeye will get two loading blocks custom made by Hozz57. I never did get a picture of those posted and they are already packaged up to mail out. Maybe Hawkeye will post a picture when he gets them. One is strictly for the .204 Ruger and the other is for larger calibers. They are both made of cherry wood and the craftsmanship is second to none. They even have event stickers on them so Hawkeye won't forget where they came from.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Ya know. I am still using my MTM plastic funnel so a new one is needed 8) . Thanks Robert....And two loading blocks made out of cherry. Cherry if one of my favorite woods. Thanks Hozz!!! I'll put the new tools to good use!!!
Skipper
I like the idea for next years shoot. Who had the smallest group? size?

Jo
Move the low shot up to the others in target #3 ,you might be the big dog. :eek:

KVW
Looks like barrel heat played a role in target #3 ????
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I think I'll have to buy one of those funnels from Robert. The fact they'll sit on top of the case is awesome. I might spring for a few extra caliber set if he's able and willing. I'm getting rather tired of the plastic do all funnels I constantly need to set down,pick up. Charge one round and set it on the next. I wouldn't have to remember where I left off in the loading block. Makes life easy.

Mike, Group 1 and 2 were shot using a .224 bushing . Seeing as I was pretty unhappy with that I shot group 3 with some leftovers from the last egg shoot (.225 bushing). Didn't seem to help. Theres some potential in Win 748 just haven't figured it all out yet.
I'm quessing your still using your BM & 35 Berg load. I congratulate you on that also. Maybe its my inconsistency at the load bench but I have problems shooting the same load for extended periods of time.
That ones surely working overtime for you. Good Shooting.

Top three scores shot by factory Savages. :chin: :chin: :chin:
I do not recall what Brian shoots but its a sporter. Darn good for a sporter Brian.

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

jo191145 wrote:
I do not recall what Brian shoots but its a sporter. Darn good for a sporter Brian.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Three Savages huh :chin:
I think Brian shoots a CZ if I remember correctly.

Jo
I was all over the place like you at one time and got information OVERLOAD :loco: Like Jason Baney says over on 6mmBR, " KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID" I probably have 6+ powders I could load in the 204 case and refuse to try them... I also use a .224 bushing.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Just saying Thanks to Skipper and and everyone else involved with the Postal Shoot. I've never done anything like this before and it's been fun. Definately looking forward to next year. Great little forum you guys have here. Dave
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Congrats to everybody!!!
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Great job by everyone. Congrats to Hawkeye for doing it again. Your one fierce competitor when it comes to this shoot :eek: On the note of a hot barrel on my target I think it was more of a dirty barrel. When I got to the range I was sighting in on another target and was having so much fun that I lost track of how many was down the tube. :wall: After about 40 rounds my gun seems to open up a little. O'h well. I was very suprised when I saw that I got 3rd. I figured I was out this year. Again, thanks to Skipper for all of his hard work. :mrgreen: Looking forward to it n/year. I will post all of my equipment and loading info a little later. Running out of time today. Skipper, do you want us to put it on this thread? Let us know.
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

skipper

Post by skipper »

I'm glad everyone had such fun with this shoot. I really like seeing the event icons and feeling like our members got a special treat from their membership here on the Ruger Hunting/204 Ruger.com forum. If you noticed, we only had two members compete in the custom rifle class. I sure would like to see some of the other members participate. You could have placed first in a class simply because there wasn't a lot of competition in that particular class. I realize that competition doesn't appeal to all of our members. Enough said. I would like you to consider competing in the next Challenge if for no other reason than just for the comradery. There is a feeling of hesitation, pressure, or simply butterflies that happens when you staple your target to the backer and slide in behind your rifle and realize that everyone will see what you are fixin' to shoot. That's a feeling that only comes from competition. Some can handle the pressure, some can't.

Thanks again, for letting me host this shoot. I hope we haven't alienated those who don't care to compete with our event icons and all. I really get jealous when I see the varmints some of you get to shoot on a regular basis and I don't. Yeah sure, I live in Texas, but I work from sunup to sundown five days a week. I live in a nice house and some people are jealous of me. I'm jealous of those of you who get to spend so much time in the field. See ya later. Duck season starts real soon. I'll be in heaven for abot a month.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Skipper - what you said is soooo true.

Personally, I am not happy with how I shot, but, next time, I will reduce the loads and shoot again. The loads that I used are not bad in the accuracy department, I had a so/so day at the range. Ok, but not great. I sincerely doubt that I could have put a .2 together....but a .4 is definitely within the realm.

Congrats again to everybody!!!!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Mike.
If my gun shot consistently like yours I would'nt mess with it either. Maybe. Probably not.
I really enjoy jumping around and I never suffer from information overload because I do not save my loading data very long. :lol: I had it running on BM pretty good and after shooting the 26 Varmint Grenades with N-133 it just hated BM. No idea why. Thought the tube was dead. It seems to like Win 748 now. Might be because the throat is most likely pretty well fire cracked :shrug: I just shot an Audette ladder with 748/CCI -450's and 39bk's in my new tube using a .222 bushing. It seems to like that combo. Won't really know until I shoot some groups. I still don't trust the Sierras much but it would be nice if they worked.
Congrats again you old dog :lol:

Nice job KVW. Theres definately some great potential in your load too. Two questions.
Are you shooting a Sav VLP or other stainless tube or a FV chrome moly?
Still using N-135 and suffering from the Viht curse?
I'm interested.

Good point Skipper. I've been jealous of those folks who live in live target rich environs myself.
The paper punchers have to play once in a while too.
I should be able to give the custom class a little more competition next year. On a Savage action of course :lol:

KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Jo, I'm shooting n135 yet and 35gr berger. No moly. I once had an old guy that reloaded tell me to keep it simple. I've followed what he told me and it seems to be working out. I shot my lrpv in the shoot. I should have shot my 12fv also. It seems to keep up pretty well with the other. Buy the way, great shooting. You gave Hawkeye a good run this year.
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Hawkeye Joe wrote:
jo191145 wrote:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Three Savages huh :chin:
I think Brian shoots a CZ if I remember correctly.
I actually shoot a Ruger MKII Ultralight with an Elite 3200 3X9 scope. I had a few problems with the competition. I used to shoot the Sierra 39 grainers but being the cheap skate that I am, I got a good deal on the Nosler 40 grainers earlier this summer and had a hard time getting them to shoot as accurately. But I finally found the sweet spot between the bullets and my gun. The resulting accuracy came very close to the Sierra's.

Then, I had a hard time seeing the targets with my lowly little 3X9 scope. I know the shoot was supposed to challenge our skills as well as the equipment so I was fine with that and it has given me a good excuse to upgrade the glass on that rifle so plans are in the works!!! :D But the middle target where the fold was at was my difficult one. The way the sun was shining on the fold, it was difficult to align the target and my cross-hairs due to not being able to see the target clearly. I'm not complaining though.

The last problem that I had was just not enough time to shoot properly. My barrel was getting pretty hot and was moving my groups to the left. This is the hottest that my little barrel has ever gotten and the results were obvious! Next year, I hope to have more time to space the shots out a little more.

I had fun and it was great!
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail: