204 Ruger dot com Postal Shoot

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

I don't mind throwing in a couple bucks to cover postage and matieral. Unless your rich, then send me money instead. :)
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Wow am I late to this party!? I don't want to stir up any Shiite, but what about a semi-auto or, HDR catergory? I know I can't hang with those LRPVs for group size but some of us would like braggin rights for tightest Black Rifle.
My .02---> Honor System, OBVIOUSLY!, Factory ammo vs. Handloads, there HAS to be a distinction! Custom guns? CONGRATULATIONS SKIPPER!!!
I got lost, how do I get my targets??
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Rugerdogdog wrote:Wow am I late to this party!? I don't want to stir up any Shiite, but what about a semi-auto or, HDR catergory? I know I can't hang with those LRPVs for group size but some of us would like braggin rights for tightest Black Rifle.
My .02---> Honor System, OBVIOUSLY!, Factory ammo vs. Handloads, there HAS to be a distinction! Custom guns? CONGRATULATIONS SKIPPER!!!
I got lost, how do I get my targets??
Well there's something I didn't consider...

Let me figure this out. In the mean time I'll hide this box of monkey wrenches. :lol:
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

I just had a brain fart here. The way you measure a group is measure the largest outside deminsion then subtract the caliber?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

BunGhoLeo

Group size is measured from center to center of the two holes farthest apart. It's hard to determine the true center of a hole so we usually measure from outside to outside and then subtract the diameter of the bullet hole size.

If you measured a group as .405" from outside to outside of the two holes farthest apart and subtracted .204 you would get a group size of .201. That would be a real nice group. The only problem is that would not be the actual group size as measured from center to center because a 204 Ruger doesn't make a .204" hole in paper. The hole is usually smaller than .204". If you don't believe it, measure one of the holes in one of your targets. It's usually .196" or something like that. So if you subtracted that from your group size of .405" you would get .209". So using the actual diameter of the bullet is going to give you a false group size that is always smaller than the group really is.

Even with this calculation we are still going to be left with a lot of error. The holes are ragged and fuzzy and it's pretty subjective as to where the actual edge is. I forgot the name of the fancy group measuring tool the BR boys use but I'm sure someone else will remember. Since we probably don't have an official hole diameter and a high dollar tool for measuring group size like the BR boys we are usually approximating at best.

If we use the .195" hole size like WrzWaldo said and apply that to all the targets then the playing field is level for everyone. The reason I said anything about group size measurements in the first place is because I wouldn't want some lurker to criticize us and spoil the celebration for our winners. There seems to be a lot of people out here on the internet that have nothing better to do than stir the pot.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Posting list?

Post by Vartarg »

Could you, soon if not at this point, post a list of those who've entered? I sent a PM, but it would be reassuring to know that I'll be shooting with this distinguished group of folks! 8)
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Yes, PLEASE include us HDR guys. It isn't very likely I can hang in there with the LRPV's or the other bolt actions.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Well skipper, you've made me a happy camper this morning. That being said, the best group with my Ruger No. 1 stainless varminter at 100 yards would be 0.135" if your kind and don't count that first shot fouler. :) 2nd best would be 0.358". This is with factory hornady 32gr.

WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

Not sure if all entrants want to be disclosed at this point. I have gotten some entries that have not posted to this thread. There are some names missing that I would like to see participate. I suspect they may be waiting for the official rules to be posted (which will be Monday the 16th of July).

Many of entrants I see on the list right now have posted pictures of their targets at some point and I expect the competition will be pretty tough. I'll feel pretty darn good if I place in the top 10! Of course I'll be shooting for #1.

Top 5 reasons for shooting in the 2007 204 Ruger dot Com Postal Shoot.

1. It's free (except for your time and ammo)
2. You have another reason to get out and shoot
3. We all get to see what hardware is shooting good
4. You get to get out and shoot
5. If you are going to shoot anyway it may as well be at free targets

Top 5 reasons for not shooting in the 2007 204 Ruger dot Com Postal Shoot.

None, nadda, zero, zilch!

As a good friend always told me...

"You can't hit the duck if you don't shoot at it!"
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

Here's a peek at the targets.

I'm still debating on what to do with you "black rifle" shooters.

Here is a draft target for your HDR shooters.

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Count me in.

I have a factory stock rifle and a factory stock rifle with a custom barrel only. I'll leave it up to whoever to determine the class. I would vote to leave ammo type out of it (factory vs. handloads) but it doesn't matter to me either way.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

skb2706 wrote:I would vote to leave ammo type out of it (factory vs. handloads) but it doesn't matter to me either way.
Out of curiousty, do you handload?
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Yes........29.3 gr. RL-15 under a 32 gr. Sierra BK lit with a BR4 primer is my first choice. Both guns shoot it quite well. Like I said it doesn't matter to me either way because I've seen what both will do with box of Hornady 32 gr. Vmaxs, factory loads. I just don't like buying factory loads.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I'm in the pot here. I'll be shooting my box stock XR-100 with hand loads. I'll also be shooting my custom rifle with hand loads.

I think you guys need to realize that this is an aggregate competition. What that means is that one tiny little group isn't going to win. We're averaging all three targets. That makes it a competition where anything can happen. The most consistent shooter is going to have an edge over someone like me that can shoot a really small group one time out of ten. It's the other two groups that will make or break your score. That makes it pretty interesting.

Come on guys, there are going to be a lot of guys in the majority here. The majority of shooters will lose. Only a few will win. I would be pretty sad if the majority of members here didn't enter.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bad Dad

I'm in

Post by Bad Dad »

I think the class should be custom and stock with what ever ammo you can get to shoot the best in your gun. I'll be shooting a black gun but don't mind getting put in the stock gun catagory.
Greg
"Bad Dad" Given to me by my 8 year old son after watching a 60's movie were I had to explain “BAD” as being “Awesome, Sweet, Rad":cool: . Love that kid