DPMS or Bushmaster?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: DPMS or Bushmaster?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

[quote="chicoredneck"]all right old man if you want to join me and my buddies well show you what real rifles are capable of.[quote]

"Real rifles"? I had no idea that I was not shooting "real" ones for all these years. I know the enemy in Vietnam had real ones, so did we.

"Set in my ways"? Why, yes I am, as from over 40 years of sniping rats, I do indeed think I've got it figured out. I may have been back from 'Nam and shooting rats around that part of CA before you were even born by the sound of it. "Yes", I most likely DO have it figured out by now.....if not, I need to find something else to devote my time. You obviously however, have much more experience than any of us in this field.

Chico eh? I hunted hogs around there for many years back in the late 60's and early 70's when CA was almost liveable. Oh, and if you feel displaying ignorance of the English language on an open internet forum is fine, then we have nothing else to discuss. Add to the fact that as the "new guy" here, you seem to have answers for virtually every subject, so you obviously have much more experience than any of us, so maybe we should just leave the forum so you can pontificate to your little hearts desire. (I'm betting you'll need to look it up)
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

chicoredneck
.204 Ruger Guns: saber defense ar 15

Post by chicoredneck »

oh yes and did i mention that it's a nikon scope with a heavy duplex reticle for the extra challenge. jk. i must be better at shooting than i thought because i didn't realize this was such a big deal. sure the accuracy of the rifle is impressive, but it isn't that hard to shoot 500 yards with solid rests. my friends family and i are just the best shooters norcal has ever seen aparently. maybe i should start an all pro shooting team called team suck my #$*&^%
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

chico:

Not only are you an impressive shooter, it's very obvious by your choice of words that you are also a class individual. California is a better place, I'm sure, for having you as a citizen of the state...

-BCB
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

chicoredneck wrote:all right old man if you want to join me and my buddies in chico i'll save the sack of golf balls in the back of my truck for when you get here and well show you what real rifles are capable of.
Chico, I'm trying really hard to be nice. As such, I must say that you are certainly barking up the wrong tree now. Rick has probably forgotten more about shooting than I know and he's got one or two decent shooting sticks of his own. In addition to all of that, Rick's a very nice guy who is HIGHLY regarded here on the forum. With that said, I'll bow out of the way. Rick doesn't need me to campaign for him.
chicoredneck

Post by chicoredneck »

Ok 1) i didn't realize that being the "new guy" on the forum made me somehow less experienced. I have posted on far fewer threads than you, rick, or most of the other people have posted here. i have only posted my "opinion" on one thread, the others have been posts related to my experiences. mybe i should ask permission before posting for now on because you seem to be the sheriff of this "town".
2) you seem to have an obvious biased against me because i choose to use small calibers to harvest medium game.
3) you seem to be annoyed by people who find spelling of little importance on articles such as this and take it out as "proof" that i'm not worth listening too.
4) rather than simply ignore people whom you disagree with or provide facts to support your case you attack those who are different than you and provide no valid reason other than essentialy "thats not the right way to do it"
5) you proudly bring up your "experience" in vietnam on more than one occasion as if this somehow qualifies you more or makes you more just in anything you say. the firearms and ammunition used today are far more advanced than they were 40 years ago
6) this is the internet. obviously i could be lying about anything just as well as you could. how do we know you were really in nam? all those pictures you post of nice little groups and flying squirrels, how do i know those are of your shooting and not someone else. i have just as much cause to mis-trust anybody on this forum as you do me.
7) if you don't believe me thats fine, i don't lose anything, we don't know each other.
8) we might actually be able to get along fine if we decide to look past this. we both aparently like to hunt pigs in california. you stated that you used to hunt behind dogs. iv'e only hunted pigs with dogs twice, but it is a blast. you also stated you used to be involved in game management such as myself.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

No need to ask for permission obviously. It's your "in the face" style of posting. Such as the post you made about an animals weight in relation to the ft/lbs of energy delivered or whatever that was. Honestly I quit reading that post as it just seemed like you needed to justify your reasoning for deer & hogs with a 204. Then when nobody responded you had to dig it up & almost whine that nobody gave a darn about the numbers you posted. Well that is exactly why nobody replied to them. They didn't care about your justification numbers for using the 204 on deer & hogs. It's not that hard to understand.

Now keep in mind you are obviously more than Welcome here or nobody would be trying to get you to tone it down a bit. It's great you can shoot less than 2" at 500yds with an AR platform in 204. But just as you are Welcome to post that here the Members are Welcome to post they don't believe it. The reason you got such flack over that post was because of the way you presented/handled yourself in your original posts.

Now I'll just bow out because honestly I don't like to make these posts. I would rather the Adults that started them be able to finish them. So as I bid a fond adieu I hope to see where we're all back to getting along.

BTW-- The next time "retarded" comes out in any of your posts I will be even unhappier than the 1st time you typed it. Do we at least agree on that? :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
chicoredneck

Post by chicoredneck »

after re-reading some of my posts i can see how what i thought of as sarcasm and joking could easily be taken otherwise. for this i do apoligize sincerely. i am new to online chat and need to be much more careful how i word things. allow me a moment to justify what was taken as whining in another thread. i posted those numbers because i was being attacked over my hunting methods and wished to defend myself. for the record i only use my 204 for medium game so when i post about it thats what it will most likely be about. because this is a forum dedicated to the 204 ruger and i have become quite enamored with this little cartridge i plan on sticking around. Glen i appreciate your grace in the matter. thank you. rick i will do my best to get along with you and put our little spit behind us. i apologize for the offense my posts towards you probbably created. i sort of enjoyed getting the rise out of you though. he he.
back to the origin of this post. i belive bushmaster makes a lighter weight barrel for their varmint rifle than dpms offers in an accurate package. i have heard that both companies manufacture accurate rifles and i think they are owned by the same holding company. i only have experience with rock river and saber defense wich are both accurate. the saber more so.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Thank You & Welcome to the Forum chico.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS in addition to Barnes bullets are all owned by the same group. I own two Bushys (6.8 SPC and .223/5.56) and I really enjoy shooting them both in addition to my bolt guns. :D
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

chicoredneck wrote:after re-reading some of my posts i can see how what i thought of as sarcasm and joking could easily be taken otherwise.
On this note, through the years especially during "spirited, point-counter point discussions" I have often had to take another look at the words and how "I" perceived them. The drawback to reading email/blogs etc...is if you're in the wrong frame of mind (to speak) one could take words/phrases as a challenge when that wasn't the intent of the person who sent it. Just a thought.

Regarding hitting golf balls @ 500 yards with your AR. Actually, I believe it is very possible. Back in my highpower competition days, I shot 15 "X's" in a row at 600 yards with an AR-15 Service Rifle (open sights). The "X" at 600 yards is a 6" circle. I didn't use a bench but I was stretched out prone on a mat with a mitt (on my non shooting arm) and I was slung in. There wasn't enough wind to blow over a styrofoam cup but the light was very tricky. With open sights, the light can be just as much of a challenge as the wind (with scopes, thats negated). My AR is a 223 with 7 twist barrel and I was using 77 SMK seated to magazine length. I'll confess though on a windy day hitting golf balls "consistently" at 500 yards (at least where I shoot rats) would be a tall order to fill.

Regarding your wife outshooting you, always remember, the gun doesn't care who's behind the trigger. I giggle at the range when I see some smooth talker getting sideways (pissed-off) because his girlfriend is kicking his @$$ with her 1st visit to a range. Now that’s a Kodak moment. Be thankful she likes to shoot. I know a bunch of gals who don’t give a hoot about shooting with their husband.

As far as AR’s go, the accuracy of that platform is pretty darn good. Lots of records are falling to them. Having said that, the best thing that made them that way (IMO) are;

#1. The free float tubes;
#2. A good trigger.

But don’t underestimate a bolt gun because there aren’t any moving parts, unlike a AR (unless its one of those Tubbs (bolt action AR).

Jim
chicoredneck

Post by chicoredneck »

jim, i appreciate your kind words. the area i live in has enough still days that we can plan our trips to the range for days when there is no wind. unfortunaetly it's been windy here now for the last 2 weeks and my trigger finger is getting itchy. i enjoy shooting long distances so thats what i practice at most. as stated earlier my rifle is zeroed for 400 yards. and i do very much apperciate the fact that my wife likes to shoot with me.

i have looked through some other threads on other forums and white oak arms, although mentioned less than other brands, doesent seem to have a single negative remark i could find. they are reported to be highly accurate rifles at a reasonable price.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

chicoredneck wrote:jim, i appreciate your kind words. the area i live in has enough still days that we can plan our trips to the range for days when there is no wind. unfortunaetly it's been windy here now for the last 2 weeks and my trigger finger is getting itchy. i enjoy shooting long distances so thats what i practice at most. as stated earlier my rifle is zeroed for 400 yards. and i do very much apperciate the fact that my wife likes to shoot with me.

i have looked through some other threads on other forums and white oak arms, although mentioned less than other brands, doesent seem to have a single negative remark i could find. they are reported to be highly accurate rifles at a reasonable price.
Another outfit that does AR work for highpower rifle competitors is Compass Lake Engineering, often refeered to as CLE. They're out of Florida and I used them for a few things, they are top notch as well.

My Kreiger barrel AR-15 was put together by a man named Albert Turner from Plano Texas. I believed he has moved on but that that thing is a hammer.

Jim