1000 yard competition

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Boisblancboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VS SF II

1000 yard competition

Post by Boisblancboy »

So Saturday at camp grayling Michigan I attended my first 1000 yard competition. First off it was a blast and quite a learning experience. All the guys were willing to talk and teach me what was going on.

Got to watch the F class and Palma shooters. Also got to head down to the pits and help run the targets which I thought was pretty cool.

During a relay change a fellow came over and asked me if I could spot/score for him. Of course I said I would do it but explained I knew NOTHING about what to do, which ended up being a piece of cake.

The shooter I spotted for ended up being Bryan Litz who works for Berger bullets and while watching him shoot realized was one heck of a shooter.

So it ended up being a great experience and got to meet some nice people! Can't wait to do it again.
.204 Remington 700 VS SF II
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: 1000 yard competition

Post by Vartarg »

Congratulations!!! Sounds like a terrific experience!

Litz not only "...works for Berger Bullets"....he's the author of a very helpful book loaded with great information: "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooters."

How soon will you be at the firing line for long range shooting? I shot in my first 600 yard match last month, and we have another one coming up next Saturday.

Thanks again for the report!

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Boisblancboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VS SF II

Post by Boisblancboy »

I would hope I could get out there and do it soon. I have a range only a couple miles down the road that we can shoot 500 yards now. So I would like to start practicing at that distance and work my way up. But I would love to eventually have the equipment and skill to at least be able to not be embarrassing at 1000 yards.
.204 Remington 700 VS SF II
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Great for you. I am jealous. I got into the 500 yard club in the Varmint Hunter club and now trying to get into the 1,000 yard club. Have a long way to go. I did build a 6.5-284 that shows great potential. Wish I had your experience to get started on. Keep us posted on your progress.
Please, no Sidewinder today!