I like my new Sako!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Gustav
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 85 Varmint

I like my new Sako!

Post by Gustav »

So it took a while to get my account approved..... I debated whether to get this rifle or not and I wanted to ask you guys first, but I went ahead and got it anyway. I'm glad I did. So far it has not disappointed me. The set trigger is a really nice feature too.

It's great to hit milk jugs at 500 yards. I put a Sightron 50x scope on it and it's nice to be able to see things that far away. Can someone explain a little how I can use the turrets? I have been playing with the Nosler app (pretty cool btw), but it gives me an MOA # adjustment along with the bullet drop.

For example: 40gr vmax it'll say Drop (in): -6.84; Drop (moa): -2.18 So what does that moa # mean? How many clicks on a 1/4 moa scope?

A couple of pictures, the group is from 100yds:

Last edited by Gustav on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gustav

Re: I like my new Sako!

Post by Gustav »

Kinda hard to get pictures into this forum eh?

(sorry, I figured it out)
Last edited by Gustav on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Gustav wrote:Kinda hard to get pictures into this forum eh?
No, its really not........... Here's an older Sako.

-BCB
Davis Goertzen
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Davis Goertzen »

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on a nice rifle, and the good shooting!

I can't exactly answer your question about the turrets, but I believe the distance per click for a scope is measured at 100 yards, and should be multiplied by how many hundred yards away your target is. Therefore, with your 1/4 MOA scope, one click at 400 yards should equal 1 inch difference in point of impact. Maybe that helps. Someone else can probably give you more detailed advice.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

I think this site put me on JBM Ballistics site, use their calcuation table to get a charts tailored to your load. Use the MOA as your "clicks"...2.18 MOA 8 or 9 clicks with 1/4 inch adjustments. Reset your turrets to "zeo" and just turn to "2" and shoot slightly high or 2.25 and shoot a litlle low. Thanks to Rick for my lesson a few years back.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Hey man, nice rifle and nice groups. I'm pretty new as well but there are plenty of ballistics calculator sites out there and some great apps for smartphones. Shop around till you find one that works for you.
K = ½mv2
Gustav

Post by Gustav »

Thanks guys. I have been looking around and found some of the ballistics apps for Droid. They're pretty neat but I'm not sure about the variances. Each app gives me a different bullet drop number compared to the factory box. Anyway they are fun to play with! I watched a couple of good youtube videos last night that were very helpful. Now I just need to go back to the range and test it out.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

I like your new sako too
have you tried the shooter app