Savage Model 10 XP Preditor Hunter

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Savage Model 10 XP Preditor Hunter

Post by Pmoper »

Hi...Thought I would seek out some help....Trying to figure out what glass they are putting on their "package rifles" I have heard that it is a Simmons 3-9, others tell me it is a Simmons 4-12, others tell me it is a Nikon 4-12....My hunting partner is looking at this in a .204 Package and he is asking me.....??? So, I am asking you knowledgable folks....LOL...Thanks.....Paul
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Savage Model 10 XP Preditor Hunter

Post by futuretrades »

For me personally, I would not buy a rifle package. My reasoning behind this thought is simple, because I have had experience with the Simmons line. All have not been good! As far as the Nikon line, there are a lot of people on here using their products. I would be willing to bet that Savage is not using the best glass in their package deals, trying to keep costs down.
I spend a lot of time behind my scopes when in the field, and from experience, buy the best glass you can afford. My personal choice is Leupold. Made in the good ol USA and a lifetime warranty. I can spend the better part of a whole day behind mine, with little, or no eye fatigue. And if you buy a 204R, you will want to spend more time shooting, and enjoying the experience. I do believe you will be a better shooter in the long run, with better quality glass. Besides a scope is a personal choice, same as your rifle!
JMHO
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

Pmoper wrote:Hi...Thought I would seek out some help....Trying to figure out what glass they are putting on their "package rifles" I have heard that it is a Simmons 3-9, others tell me it is a Simmons 4-12, others tell me it is a Nikon 4-12....My hunting partner is looking at this in a .204 Package and he is asking me.....??? So, I am asking you knowledgable folks....LOL...Thanks.....Paul
My savage catalogue shows it with a Simmons. My model 111 .270 came with a Bushnell which quickly got changed to a Nikon pro staff. I'm with future I prefer to buy rifle and scope separately.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I would buy them separately. They put really cheap scopes on those packages and you will end up spending more money for another scope later.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The only package deal I have bought and it turned out fine was a Howa 1500 in 22-250 with their Nikko Sterling 3x10. Other than that I buy separately and go with Leupold's. Better in the long run. Bill K