Savage mod 25 Walking Var

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
wisconsinteacher
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Savage mod 25 Walking Var

Post by wisconsinteacher »

What do you know about this rifle? Is it a heavy barrel on a lighter stock? Also, what is the big difference between a 26" and a 22" barrel with the 204 Ruger out to 300 yards? I am looking for all the info you can throw at me. I was planning on getting a 12FV but found this one so I need to know more before I order. I am looking to shoot off a bench and reload for the rifle. I will take it on short walks in the woods so weight is not an issue.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Savage mod 25 Walking Var

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

initially I thought the Walking Varminter would have a mid contour barrel like the other model 25's. After I looked a little closer it appears to have a sporter weight barrel and coupled with the synthetic stock that makes up the "walking varminter" configuration. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. I have a call in to Savage to see if I can get additional information. I plan to have one of these rifle in a 17 Hornet configuration for testing purposes as soon as they are available.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:initially I thought the Walking Varminter would have a mid contour barrel like the other model 25's. After I looked a little closer it appears to have a sporter weight barrel and coupled with the synthetic stock that makes up the "walking varminter" configuration. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. I have a call in to Savage to see if I can get additional information. I plan to have one of these rifle in a 17 Hornet configuration for testing purposes as soon as they are available.
I have been planning on getting one of these rifles when they are available too....hopefully its very soon
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Savage keeps pushing back the release date so I decided to have a Custom 17 Hornady Hornet built. I have a reamer on the way, a stainless barrel from Green Mountain, and a CZ 527 Hornet action. Let me know if you are interested in a custom build. I have a special deal worked out with the gunsmith who is building mine.
savageboy23 wrote:
wirelessguy2005 wrote:initially I thought the Walking Varminter would have a mid contour barrel like the other model 25's. After I looked a little closer it appears to have a sporter weight barrel and coupled with the synthetic stock that makes up the "walking varminter" configuration. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. I have a call in to Savage to see if I can get additional information. I plan to have one of these rifle in a 17 Hornet configuration for testing purposes as soon as they are available.
I have been planning on getting one of these rifles when they are available too....hopefully its very soon