howa 1500 varmint

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

howa 1500 varmint

Post by magnum »

just seeing whot you lot think of these guns :?: :?: thinking of getting 1 good and bad points thanks IAN
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: howa 1500 varmint

Post by Bill K »

I have the Howa 1500 with the 22 inch #2 barrel and it shoots very well. I would think that with the heavier varmint barrel (#6) it would do even better. I bought mine more for a walk about, so went with the #2 contour barrel.. I think you would like the rifle, Howa makes a good one, for the price. Bill K
spongejo
.204 Ruger Guns: howa1500

Post by spongejo »

i have a 24'' varmint, yep its a shooter, there a great gun for the money.
ollie
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My Howa 1500 Varmint was my favorite varmint rifle. The only reason I said "was" is because I now also own a Cooper in 20VT. I did install a Timney trigger in both my Howa and my Weatherby Vangard, which is made by Howa. I was not happy with either trigger, so I replaced them, only because i could not adjust the pull down as far as I liked in the factory triggers. When I can scrape up enough cash, I will replace the trigger in the Cooper with a Jard trigger. IMHO, get the Howa, and with some load work up I will just bet that it will be shooting under 1/2 groups. Of coarse that also depends on person behind the trigger!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
iancxx
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 204

Post by iancxx »

hiya ian,dont think you will go wong with the howa,they get good report,s world wide,i looked into all the 204,s,done a lot of reading,ie price acuracy,vfm,and availability,up here,and looked at a few makes,so now i have sitting in my rfd,s,awaiting my fac variation,comeing back from d/ham,a howa 1500,24" varmint barrel in stainless,and a boyd,s laminate on it,s way,just stocking up on bit,s n bob,s,got me some brass and dies,just awaiting the go ahead,and trying to decide which mod to put on her,dm80 or 3rd eye,?,then let the fun begin,,ian
magnum

Post by magnum »

iancxx wrote:hiya ian,dont think you will go wong with the howa,they get good report,s world wide,i looked into all the 204,s,done a lot of reading,ie price acuracy,vfm,and availability,up here,and looked at a few makes,so now i have sitting in my rfd,s,awaiting my fac variation,comeing back from d/ham,a howa 1500,24" varmint barrel in stainless,and a boyd,s laminate on it,s way,just stocking up on bit,s n bob,s,got me some brass and dies,just awaiting the go ahead,and trying to decide which mod to put on her,dm80 or 3rd eye,?,then let the fun begin,,ian
IAN i am in the same boat been looking for a bit now had the ok to have 1 my variation in the post some where ???? :cry: had some bits of a mate of mine (reloading odds and sodds)it,s just gong to be a out and out foxing gun and may put nv on it when i get the cash
Last edited by magnum on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

hiya ian,mine is for fox aswell,but want vermin on it allso,feo is being a pain,since the shooting,s at peterlee the other week,why do you need vermin on it,you allready have two rifles for that,what do you want me to do,carry two rifles,god they have absalutally no idea what,s involved,or what rifles are used for,how they manage to get their job,s ive no idea,surely the need to have at least some knowledge of actual firearms,and there use must be manditory,well hopefully my fac will arive back this week,just in time for all the snow we been told is comeing our way,catch you later,,ian
magnum

Post by magnum »

out last night my turn on the lamp went to two farms we had a nice big dog fox run in to the foxpro bunny call run in from about 400 mts full tilt manage to stop him at around 70 mts i no what u are saying about fao been on to them to day they can,t find my varation to day??? but they told me last week it was in the post back to me ????they called me and asked y did i want a 204 i said for foxing but his reply was u got your 243 for that ???? i said have ever seen a fox after its hit with a 243 !!! he said no i just do the paper work!!!! :wall: :wall:
Last edited by magnum on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

hiya magnum,no i just do the paper work!!!! ,sound,s about right,,ian
magnum

Post by magnum »

just an update got my license back today put in for 3 new guns 22lr 204 and 308 the 22lr is a replacement for 1 i give my son new calibre 204 for foxes and 308 for the big reds i asks for 3 when my license came back they added an another 243 as well?? well 4 for the price of 3 will take that all day long already have 1 well will have to get shopping now
magnum

Post by magnum »

will pick up new rifle mid of next week but the mod will take 2/3 to come well give me time to sort out glass for it
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

hiya magnum,you lucky bugger,still waiting for my variation to come back,got all the bit,s in place,rifle sitting in the rfd,s,got me an mtc viper to stick on her for now,got that on thur,s,god it,s frustrating,by the time i get it ,the weather might be a bit better,blowing like out at the mo outside,will have to go have a play with the hmr or 22,just to keep my eye in,,never know postie might drop it off later today,dream on,what rifle you going for,ime just waiting in dave mercer makeing my dm80 mod,which one are you going for,catch you later,,ian
magnum

Post by magnum »

iancxx wrote:hiya magnum,you lucky bugger,still waiting for my variation to come back,got all the bit,s in place,rifle sitting in the rfd,s,got me an mtc viper to stick on her for now,got that on thur,s,god it,s frustrating,by the time i get it ,the weather might be a bit better,blowing like out at the mo outside,will have to go have a play with the hmr or 22,just to keep my eye in,,never know postie might drop it off later today,dream on,what rifle you going for,ime just waiting in dave mercer makeing my dm80 mod,which one are you going for,catch you later,,ian
IAN howa varmint my mate had a very nice mod made for his i think around the £150 mark !! going to get 1 of these for it very good well made and stripable ALU (its about the size ccm4 ) when we went to zero his 204 i was up at the 200 meter marker spotting for him you could just hear the paper getting puched out sounds more like a rimmy !!!just need a nice bit of glass for it now!!! did you tip the postie at xmas :( :( never mind i,m sure it will be here soon
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

hiya,sounds like a plan you got going,can you get me any details on the mod,sound s like a dm80,but if i can get better,will have me a one,drop me a pm,might be better,quiet from 200 seems very good,even on open land,well of to try and get some zzzs,n/shift got me all buggered up,cant sleep at night now,
magnum

Post by magnum »

iancxx wrote:hiya,sounds like a plan you got going,can you get me any details on the mod,sound s like a dm80,but if i can get better,will have me a one,drop me a pm,might be better,quiet from 200 seems very good,even on open land,well of to try and get some zzzs,n/shift got me all buggered up,cant sleep at night now,
we are out foxing to nite will find out more info for you about mod ian