Good enough or what?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Good enough or what?

Post by tpcollins »

I went this morning to empty my muzzleloader and had the target set a 200 yards to see how it shot - I wasn't impressed. But I took my Tikka T3 .204 with me since I had only shot it at 100 yards. I was using a short bipod and rear bunny bag off the back of my tailgate. Although an 1 1/2" low and to the right, the horizontal variance was 1/2" and the verticle string was about an 1 1/2". A few clicks and I can get it zeroed in fairly well but I was more concerned how the rifle shot going into a 6mph breeze. Just wondering what other people are getting at 200 yards - and whether it was the Indian or the arrow today? Thanks.

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: Good enough or what?

Post by bow shot »

Assuming you had for 6mph cross wind, I'd say the horizontal is good! For the vertical spread... if that's not powder or seating variation round-to-round, I'd gander the variation is from slight varation is shooting form., ie, the way your rifle recoils on the bags.

That said...

IMHO, if your rest and form are not, well... perfect, you can really knock your brains out :wall: :mad: :huh: trying to figure what's "wrong" with your load. Ask me how I know, :oops: lol!!!

So before you go nuts with adjusting your load, be sure everything is good at the shootng bench. And If you can... it really helps to have as close to zero wind as possible when testing loads. That's a whole 'nuther discussion righ there!
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

By the way... in answer to the question, "..good enough..?". I'd say YES :D !. That's a fantastic rifle, and I'll bet that if you obsess over form, you will squish that group down to to a dot.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

Thanks bow shot, actually I forgot to mention I was shooting the Horrnady factory ammo that boasts a 4225 fps - but with my 22 7/16" barrel, I can only average the 3850s. I was shooting some 32gr Noslers and 39gr BKs I had loaded this past summer at target dots spread out in a row and managed to shoot off one of the uprights on my chrono. Pissed me off and I haven't been back to the range since - but the BlitzKings shot really nice.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Looks good....bipod and factory fodder.....Wouldn't look to beat myself up......LOL...BTW...I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in .308 that I use for Deer hunting....I can get sub moa at 100 yards (If I do my part)....Great guns....
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

tpcollins wrote: ...managed to shoot off one of the uprights on my chrono. Pissed me off ...
LOL! welcome to the club amigo!! Check out SthDan's "oops" thread http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9273

FYI, I'm also a bipod and bunny bag guy... It can be done!! Here's a legend: http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html
Last edited by bow shot on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

:D he he.
We're all human.
I considered setting up a few targets like that so I didn't have to keep walking downrange to change em, but that's put me off, and I know I need the exercise.
Best to admit your mistakes - we can all learn from them.
Lucky it was only an upright, and not the chrono itself.
RedLeg
.204 Ruger Guns: Varmint 18"

Post by RedLeg »

bow shot wrote:
tpcollins wrote: ...managed to shoot off one of the uprights on my chrono. Pissed me off ...
LOL! welcome to the club amigo!! Check out SthDan's "oops" thread http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9273

FYI, I'm also a bipod and bunny bag guy... I can be done!! Here's a legend: http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html
bow shot,

Props on the 6mmbr link, lots of good info!

+1
1st ID Big Red One
ImageImage