20VT arrived

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

20VT arrived

Post by Bill K »

Well the new barrel came yesterday, so you know what ??? On it went, scope, boresite and down to my table.. Three shots it was spot on at 25yds. Then out to 100 and about four shots later, spot on, or I should say 1 inch high.. Fired off and on about 20 rounds that I had ready (new brass sized down to .20) and loaded with 17, 18. 18.5 grains of RL7 to fireform, etc. Everyone of those loads put the rounds into small groups cutting each other. And these were with three bullets. 32 grain Nosler, 34 grain DT and 32 grain Hornady V-max. So boys it looks like Rick and other were Sooo right, this is a really fun round. I will be down to the table again this am to play with some of the same loads, with slight variance to see if I can pick one that really shines.. Then Sat they will take a walk for some jack rabbits and see how it preforms... Oh what fun we have in this troubled world.. Isn't live great ??? Bill K :D
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Re: 20VT arrived

Post by venison_burger »

I'm jealous of your newest addition to the family and I don't even know what make rifle it is? Sounds like fun! Someday when I grow up I'll have a 20VT...
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Well it is a addition to my Contender barrels.. It being a Bullberry, bull in blue. I ordered via Blullberry, as TC has informed me their custom shop (appearantly other than standard calibers) is no longer putting out custom calibers i.e. the 20Vt I wanted to order. I still am going to add a barrel to one of my 223 Rem 700's down the road, via Pacnor.. Then i will have the break action ( I like those Contenders, etc) and a turn bolt in the 20Vt, which is at home with the 204 Ruger (howa) 22-250 (Howa) and 223 Rem 700. I do find I am shooting the 204 and just know the 20Vt, will be shot a lot more, than the others. I have a 25-06 Rem 700, which used to get lots of shooting, but now seems to just get used on larger game, deer mostly. Down the road I know you will have one and you will really ejnoy it.. Bill K :)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am somewhat disappointed. I mentioned that the 32, 34 bullets from DT, Hornady and Sierra all touched/clover leafed, well the Nosler Varmegeddon 32 grain HP's did not, they opened up to 1 1 1/2 inch groups.. Will have to play with them and also wait and compare the tipped ones, when they arrive. I sure hope they will do better than what I have seen, so far. But there are the others, regardless. Bill K
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I was wondering how the new Nosler bullets would shoot. I love my 20 VarTarg. Bullberry and MGM also makes great barrels in lots of calibers for the T/Cs. My VarTarg will get as much trigger time as my 204s. They are a 221 Fireball necked down to a 20 caliber.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am so upset with Rick, he just had to get me looking into the 20Vt and now that I have it, it is already starting to take over my 204. It did a great job on the jacks yesterday and will be getting plenty of action through the winter month on them and coyotes.. This little cartridge is really a fun one. Only kidding RIO.. Bill K
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Bill K wrote:I am so upset with Rick, he just had to get me looking into the 20Vt and now that I have it, it is already starting to take over my 204. It did a great job on the jacks yesterday and will be getting plenty of action through the winter month on them and coyotes.. This little cartridge is really a fun one. Only kidding RIO.. Bill K
:wall: RIO, I can't hear you :wall: I can't hear... :wall: :wall:
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Good one Steve. All well down in the desert?? Cold, but dry and no snow up here. Very unusual.... But the shooting is good. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote:I am so upset with Rick, he just had to get me looking into the 20Vt and now that I have it, it is already starting to take over my 204.
Okay Bill......I never said this was gonna be easy buddy. ;) Once a 20VT lands in your hands, it takes disipline to NOT shoot the little rig, and still pay attention to your other faithful varmint rifles. When getting ready to spend a few days in the rat patch, the 20VT ALWAYS comes out of the safe, plus at least one 204, but the others are starting to feel neglected.

Honestly, between the 17 Ackley Hornet, 17 Mach IV, 20 VarTarg and 204 Ruger, my other calibers are languishing in the safe while the little .17's and .20's are out launching Skippy and his pals. I take along a 223 just "because", but for sheer fun, the little 20 VarTarg steals the show every time.

The little round even "looks right" alongside a 204 Ruger....they just go together nicely (and shoot the same boolits):

I just can't imagine this accurate speedy little number NOT becoming a factory offering....Remington is blowing it if they don't litgitimize it and have it become the "20 Fireball". :chin: Glad to hear you're likin' yours! Don't hate me, okay? :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I count you as a friend, never anyone I could hate.. Just having fun on site.. I am with you, Remington should and could have a real winner in a 20 Fireball. I wish someone would come out with more brass i.e. Nosler/Norma, etc. Althought the Rem brass is working. This is one really fun round, as you say, but a couple of my others still will get a outing, as I like them also. Bill K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote:I wish someone would come out with more brass i.e. Nosler/Norma, etc.
Well Bill, thanks for not hating me for luring you onto the "dark side" with the VT. I'm no genie in a bottle, but I WILL grant your wish.......(even though it's not mine to grant)....you may have missed an earlier post by me, but Nosler is indeed bringing out both 17FB and 221FB brass and loaded ammo in a few more months, so we'll have some dandy brass to form to 20VT.

The brass is made by Norma in Sweden, so will be of good quality, neck/body thickness consistency and drilled flash holes as is the norm for them and Lapua. The component brass won't be available until all the loaded ammunition orders are filled, but there's a boat-load of it soon to be on the water. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Anyone thinking 20 Practical yet? I like the idea...

Of course if its a gun idea I automaticly like it.

What makes you folks prefer the VT over the .204? No wait... don't tell me, I don't want to know.... yes I do. Its the Minister of Finance, to rip off Rick's nomenclature, that doesn't want me to know.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

First, Thanks Rick. I did miss that report, looking forward to that brass, It will be fresh or will it be just in loaded ammo ? I think you are saying it will be available in both, which is great.. I would just want the new brass, like most, I believe. Since you have first hand/insider knowledge, let us know when it is out...
Second, Bow shot, it is just a plain fun, easy cartridge to load and shoot accurately. Think of it as a baby .204, in my opinion. With that said, however, I still truely enjoy my 204 Ruger and take both out for walks or shoots,almost every day. You will enjoy having both at your disposal. Bill K
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I wanted to also mention, Rick, that I can not seem to get past Reloader 7. It is working so good. I should try others i.e. 4198 or such, but may just stick with RL7,Do not know if and how the new CFE223 would work, have not seen any data on it in the .20VT. Will just have to see. Bill K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bowshot: It's not that we prefer the 20VT over the 204R....far, far from it bud. It's the perfect .20 caliber companion to the 204R. Not all shots or hunting dictates all the power and range the 204 offers, so the 20VT can be termed the "204 Short", or what the .308 Win is to the .30-06 so to speak. The 308Win (7.62x51 NATO) does almost the same as it's big brother with 1/3 less powder too.

The 20VT gives the 32 grainers right at 3,750 - 3,800 fps easily using only 18.0~ grs of powder. It takes over 25+ grs in the 204 to do the same thing. This is a very efficient little caliber with outstanding accuracy attributes. Here's a field target shot with my Cooper M38 VR 20VT recently:

Just think of the little VT as being about 85% of 204R performance (range, velocity), but using about 30% LESS powder to get it done. You also have less recoil (less than none, right?), less blast and the real bonus to us here is that you can wail away on ground squirrels, PD's or rock chucks for hours without the barrel needing constant cooling and the danger of throat erosion. Plus, the accuracy is almost like shooting a PPC.

On a recent squirrel shoot this past season, I had a good hot streak lasting about 35 minutes with constant willing rats running about and standing on their mounds from about 200 yards to right at 350. The shooting was very hot and I figured I had better slow down and check my barrel........to my amazement, it was like one of my 204R's after about four shots. THAT my friend, is but one reason why the little 20VT has earned a place in my rat battery. Add the fact that this particular 20 VarTarg shoots in the .2's consistently with Sierra or Nosler 32's, it's a done-deal. :D

Bill: Yep, both loaded ammo and component brass; the brass available about late spring.

Yes, do try IMR4198 and H4198 in addition to RL-7. Every VT owner has reported good things using 4198. Over on Saubier, ab Bently is showing loads using AA2200 and 32's getting 3,900 fps and over! Haven't tried that powder yet, but those velocities are in the realm of the 204R. I believe CFE223 will prove to be too slow for the smaller FB/VT case. No matter, there's plenty of viable powders for this case that make it perform all out of proportion to it's dimutive size. Good stuff here. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA