New guy with a question

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
rut-ro
.204 Ruger Guns: rem.700 sps .204 ruger

New guy with a question

Post by rut-ro »

I am new to this site and like what I see. Last week I shot a budies .204 Ruger and had to get one, so I went and got a Remington 700 SPS in .204 as my first one. the question I have is which scope to put on it. In my safe I have 2 extra scopes I have a nikon monarch 4-16x42 and Night Force 5.5-22x 56 which one would be better for the rifle? both scopes are crisp but I have upgraded my other rifles and these are just sitting in there and I do not feel like buying a new Swavo. right now so these will work.

Thanks
Rut-ro
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: New guy with a question

Post by Hedge »

Welcome to the forum!

Both are good scopes, so it depends on what type of shooting you plan to do.

I put a 4-16x50 Viper PST FFP on my Savage. Good for varmints and target. But then, I also used a 4-16x40 Leupold on prairie dogs. That served well out to 500 yds.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
rut-ro

Post by rut-ro »

Mainly just varmits Racoons, skunks, Neutra rats and maybe a coyote or 2 or 4 :-). Most shots will be under 200 yards with the farthest about 280.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I would go with the Nikon. My reason mainly is that you can dial it down to 4x. Just my .02 worth. But either would work just fine. Bill K :)
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

+1 on mounting the Nikon,mainly because it will mount much lower,giving you a good cheek weld on the stock,and it's more than enough power for any type hunting suitable for that caliber.Set on 6X you still get a 7mm exit pupil,which gives you all the light gathering,your eye can use.Have fun.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

Joe O wrote:+1 on mounting the Nikon,mainly because it will mount much lower,giving you a good cheek weld on the stock,and it's more than enough power for any type hunting suitable for that caliber.Set on 6X you still get a 7mm exit pupil,which gives you all the light gathering,your eye can use.Have fun.
+1!
rut-ro

Post by rut-ro »

Sounds great, Now all I need to do is figure out a new rifle to put the nightforce on :-) But I guess thats a good problem.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Ah now you do have a reason to add that 20VT.. Bill K
rut-ro

Post by rut-ro »

I am not real sure what to 20VT is yet, But I'll Look into it. Does anyone else have one? are they any good?
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

rut-ro wrote:I am not real sure what to 20VT is yet, But I'll Look into it. Does anyone else have one? are they any good?
It's a 20 VarTarg. There are quite a few threads on the forum about the caliber and several happy 20VT shooters here.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

On the 20VT: If you like the 204 Ruger, you'll LOVE the little 20 VarTarg. Zip over to Saubier.com and 6mmbr.com and check the caliber out. Just imagine about 85% of 204R performance from 30% - 40% less powder, recoil, noise, blast, and with possibily even more accuracy. The round gives performance all out of proportion to its size.

The 20VT case is made from either the 221 Fireball or 17 Fireball case (also the 222 or 223 Rem) using forming dies. Here is a 204 Ruger alongside a 20 VarTarg for comparison:

Not BR accuracy by any means, but here's a typical group from my Cooper 20VT....."minute of prairie dog" for sure:

Here's my Cooper Model 38 VR in 20 VarTarg with some Oregon rock chucks that will attest to the little rounds effectiveness out to 500 yards:

Of of all my varmint rifles in CF calibers from .17 to 6mm, this little round has become my favorite for 90% of my varminting tasks. With a 204R and one of these little puppies, a guy would be set with only two rifles......but what fun would that be? ;) Seriously though, if you don't mind spending some extra time at the reloading bench, this is one heck of a fun little caliber for guys who love rifles and shooting varmints. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

rut-ro

Post by rut-ro »

WOW sounds fun. Like I mentioned before I am new to these small calibers but they sure are fun and the 20VT is on the Christmas list now.

I also better look into learning how to reload my own bullets too. I am going hunting next week with my Remington 700 SPS hopefully will have some pics for yall after Thanksgiving.
RedLeg
.204 Ruger Guns: Varmint 18"

Post by RedLeg »

"Not BR accuracy by any means, but here's a typical group from my Cooper 20VT..."

Looks like good BR accuracy to me. Tight group, elevation just right, windage needs a tad adjustment.

Good shooting R i O.
1st ID Big Red One
ImageImage
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Yup, I agree. Rick is being modest. :)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.