Scope Question for Precision Shooting

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Shamu25
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint in .204

Scope Question for Precision Shooting

Post by Shamu25 »

Posted on .204 reloading section yesterday about my finally accurate load. Now need some advice about scopes. I am shooting quite accurately (1/2" and less at 100 yds) but wonder if my cz varminter will even do better. I am using a $100 Simmons WhiteTail Classic 6.5-20x50 scope with duplex reticle. I am thinking of going to a 8-32x40 Bushnell Elite or 4-20x50 Weaver SuperSlam. Both promise amazingly clear glass and lots of light. I do mostly paper punching but do intend to do some coyote calling and some 200 and 300 yard shooting. I am thinking that the 32x will allow me to focus on the center of the target more clearly as my eyes are not what they used to be. Now on medicare if you know what I mean. Natchez has the Weaver SuperSlam on sale for $409 with a $50 rebate which is a steal for this scope but it is the fine crosshairs with dot. I am thinking that this may be worthless if I do any hunting with it. Your thoughts? Anybody with any experience with the find crosshairs with 1/4" dot? Anybody with experience at 32x?
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Re: Scope Question for Precision Shooting

Post by boomer84 »

G'day

I have a Bushnell 4200 Elite 8-32x40 and i thought it would the ducks nuts! But in fact it was just over kill i barely ever have been over 15x with it!
I tried it a 32x a few times when sighting at 100 and 200 and man i could see my pulse moving the crosshairs, could not keep it steady! Backed it out to 15x and shoot 1/2 moa all day cos the movment is still there but i can't see it so i don't think about it. At 32x i it would wear me out trying to keep it still.
But it is a mighty fine scope none the less! Crystal clear

Others may disagree but that is my view on it.

Boomer
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

I have to agree with Boomer on magnification. I've had 26x and the only use I put it to was to spot my 20 cal holes at 300 yds. Dumped that one and went to a 4-16x50 Viper PST FFP. Love that scope! I punch paper with it and snipe varmints. FFP and milrad reticle takes a little getting used to but, I won't go back to SFP and plain crosshairs. It's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

One thing to keep in mind about the higher power scopes is the parallax adjustment. I've found it touchy at higher magnification. Also, you'll be dealing with some pretty nasty mirage that you won't see at lower power.

If you're doing precision shooting at known ranges, a lot can be said for simple cross hairs and 16x or less magnification.

Here are some sample scope shots with various reticles at different powers:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... 231&page=1
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

I have the Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30 x50 on my .204, like had already been said, the x30 has never been used, the x20 has been as far really as I have used it. I dont think it has ever been wound upto 30x's. But as for the scope, i think it is very good, light, clear and also repeatable when dialing in and returning to zero etc witch is also very important for accuracy.
From my experience it it more important to have quallity glass instead of high magnification, high mag with shite glass = poor visibility and vision.

But I do rate the Bushnell 3200, 4200 and 6500 very highly mate.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Hedge, I don't know what sorts of terrain you're hunting on but if you're hunting in woodlands, I don't see the need for that much magnification. None of the guys I run with use anything higher than 9 to 12 on the high magnification for coyotes. But it's all woodlands interspersed with pasture where I hunt, no prairie.

All I have on my 'yote gun is a 3x12, and I've never thought I was under-magnified. The closest I've come to it was when taking a black 'yote at near dark from 220 yards while it was sitting facing directly toward me, presenting the narrowest possible target. On that occasion I definitely was consciously paying more attention to marksmanship fundamentals, which only served to highlight the fact that most of the other shots I'd made with that same scope just weren't challenging. Getting that sucker to present me with a shot, OTOH, ....

EDIT:
Sorry, that's a 3x10 on my 'yote gun, not a 3x12. I spend more time looking through it than at it and I'd forgot what it was.
Last edited by Fred_C_Dobbs on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Fred -

North Dakota prairie. I've got a 3,000 yard view from my back yard and around a 1000 or so in other directions. Often see 'em trotting around at 600 yds, just out of effective range.

Yup, terrain makes a difference. Just basing my choice on my hunting grounds. If I would hunt the river bottoms, I'd go with a fixed 4x.

Have yet to spot a black coyote. Love to have the hide tanned if I ever do. :)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.