Fouling in my barrel

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Fouling in my barrel

Post by 247sniper »

Guys,

I put a patch through my barrel the other day and noticed that at the end of the barrel approx 1.5 inches in from the end there was what appeares to be dark coloured crusty like stuff. looking up through the end of the barrel it looked at first like pitting/ corrosion :eek: but the rifle has only had approx 150 rounds through it. I used some forrest bore foam left it in for half and hour, gave it a scrub with the brush and then pathed out, a bit of copper was present not loads just a bit, had a look through and its better. Done this method three times but does not seem to be any better since doing it the first time. Looking at the mark now it looks like plastic wad fouling in the chamber of a shot gun,

Any idea what it could be guys? Could it be like powder residue or carbon build up or something?

You help would be great guys

Steve. :chin:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: Fouling in my barrel

Post by Jim White »

If possible, I would try to find someone with a bore scope and then you can really get a good look at it. Have you tried some JB Bore cleaner? That stuff is pretty good. Also, I have used a product called "Lead Away". It's a yellow colored thick patch that works wonders on copper and carbon fouling. If your gun is "Blue", be careful because it will rub the bluing off.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Thanks jim, havent tried that, I have only tried KG 12 and forrest bore cleaner, and tried a bit of nitro 009. But none of theses advitise that they clean carbon depostits/build up or powder residue. So I could be fighing loosing battle. Will have a look and see If I can get some JB bore cleaner or some other sort of carbon cleaner.

Thanks for your help guy Jim

ATB

Steve.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

KG12 is very aggressive on copper but of no use at all on carbon. I get good results with Bore Tech carbon remover and a brass brush.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

If you think it's carbon and if you can, try some of this stuff (SIP 2000). It is good stuff. It's water based so make sure you run some oil/lubricant back down the tube before you put the gun up.

HTH

http://www.slip2000.com/carbonkiller.html
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

another good water based carbon removal product is Mpro7. Its without a doubt the best carbon cleaner i have ever tested.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

I have had this problem in my rifles since I started using moderators.
Its a build up of carbon .
Get some KG1 and a bronze brush and give it a good scrub.
It will also be easier to remove if you clean your rifle when you get home from shooting.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Yes thats what it look like, and yes It has a mod on it too! The worst is gone , its just like very slight pitting now, but I think its still carbon build up as it has reduces since first cleaning. Did you get it at the last inch or two of the barre as welll???

Ill get some carbon cleaner and give that a go.

Thanks guys

Steve.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

Yes Steve I got it in the exact same place.
I was shocked the first time I seen it as I thought my barrel was damaged.
KG1 or any good carbon cleaner should shift it.
I never seen it in my guns until I started using moderators.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Spot on mate, ill get some KG1 as its easy to get where I am, thanks for your help, thats a bit more reasureing to now, hopefully it will be the same for mine. Thanks again to everyone for your help, ill keep you posted.