My awesome new stock blew apart my groups...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Windygap
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

My awesome new stock blew apart my groups...

Post by Windygap »

I have a Savage model 12 that was shooting great, so I thought an aluminum bedded stock would make it shoot even better. I don't want to name the company yet because I think they make great stuff, but the only thing I changed was the stock, which I torqued to 65 inch lbs, as recommended by the manufacturer. Same everything else; distance, approx. wind, bullets, powder load, etc. It was about 10 degrees warmer too. The small groups are with factory stock, large groups are with the new stock. I've tried retorqing the stock and I've put about 40 rounds through it too. Any ideas?

dibo
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Predator

Re: My awesome new stock blew apart my groups...

Post by dibo »

Loosen the screws to about 20 inch pounds shoot a group go up 5 inch pounds each time shoot another group do that till your groups come back.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

is it a truly stress free bedding job? how many screws are you tightening? 2 or 3?
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

Thanks for the help. I'll try backing off & working up. It'd blow my mind if the screw tightness would do that.

Ryutzy, there's only two screws holding the action in, and it's to an aluminum block. Also, I started at 25lbs, then alternated the screws as I worked up to 65lbs.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Windygap wrote:Thanks for the help. I'll try backing off & working up. It'd blow my mind if the screw tightness would do that.

Ryutzy, there's only two screws holding the action in, and it's to an aluminum block. Also, I started at 25lbs, then alternated the screws as I worked up to 65lbs.

25 POUNDS or 65 POUNDS? .....or inch pounds?
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

Inch pounds. I got a little tied up at work this morning so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to shoot some groups. I'll post how it turns out.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I still bed the actions in any stock, regardless of what the stock is made out of.

Buddy of my had a Rem 308 in an HS stock, he was rather surprised that his action was still moving in his stock. Rather apparent when we removed the action and he could see the marks on his action and stock.
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

Yeah, after reading up on stuff I'm wondering if I was just better off bedding the factory stock, especially with the groups I was getting. I took mine apart and it looks like it's shifting too, even when it was bolted down to 65 inch lbs. It is a very comfortable stock though.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Depending on your rest/bags this new stock is probably riding them a little different now too. Check to make sure it slides like the old stock did.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

Possibly your receiver is bent or bowed down at each end (stressed) by excessive 65 inch pound tension by both fore and aft screws. Machine threads on 1/4 inch screws can exert major forces on parts.

Try backing off the rear screw. If that does not work try shimming up the receiver just behind the recoil lug with a piece of aluminum pop can - this is easily cut to shape and will bend to shape as tension is added to the receiver. Use a minor amount of torque on the back screw, say about 15 - 20 inch pounds. The recoil lug should firmly contact the recess in the stock so the receiver won't move when the rifle is fired. Has the barrel bedding been changed? If it was free floating before it should still be free floated in the new stock.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I say contact the manufacturer and let them guide you. Make sure they see your pics too. If they are worth their salt, they'll want to demonstrate to you that their product is great...

Let us know who they are when you have reached an honest conclusion...
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

Will do. I took 'er out yesterday with about 40 rounds and a torque wrench and still not satisfied. Things got better, but not what I was expecting. I'll keep y'all posted.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Windygap wrote:Thanks for the help. I'll try backing off & working up. It'd blow my mind if the screw tightness would do that.

It absolutely will do that!
Here's a target from my Savage Dual Port Target Action rifle that I built. They were shot in order from bottom to top, left to right. Cartridge is .204 Ruger, 1:8.5" twist Pac-Nor barrel, 26 grain Varmint Grenade with 25.2 grains of Rl-10x. Notice how groups shrunk as screw tension increased until maxed out at 35 front, 35 middle and 30 rear (lbs-inch). 65 lb-in is way too tight - I just adjusted a Remington 700 at the range yesterday that did best at 35 front and 30 rear in a pillar and glass bedded stock.

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

You would be surprised how many "junky, inaccurate, POS rifles" can be cured completely by a bit of judicious action screw adjustment.

-BCB
Windygap

Post by Windygap »

I found one of the problems; I did a double check to make sure the barrel is floated, and apparently I didn't check it well enough near the action end of the barrel and it was rubbing. I augered the heck out of that with a dremel and sandpaper. Now I have to go back out with more loads and the torque wrech. Sorry this is taking so long, I got super swamped at work and haven't had the time to go back out.