Shipping guns

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Shipping guns

Post by ryutzy »

I've got a Savage rifle that I need to ship to Savage fore accuracy problems. I have never shipped a gun before and am looking for advice as to what is the best way to ship a gun. Should I ship the gun to Savage in the original box? Should I send it in a hardcase? Obviously I will buy insurance for it. I'd love your thoughts on best way to pack and ship the gun. Should I be concerned with the security of the gun especially with Savages logo on the box?
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Shipping guns

Post by Glen »

Call Savage, They might send you a shipping label for UPS. Their nickel to ship it both ways. Remington told me NOT to use a box that I might want back. Remove scope, rings, & bases as well. This was Remington. Savage Arms can steer you in the correct way I'm sure.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ryutzy: Even if you use the original box, make a cardboard outer shell/box for it to disguise it as not necessarily a firearm. Even UPS loses rifles in boxes that "look" like a firearm or have firearm logos on occasion.

I've shipped rifles for years like this without any worries. Ship it either Fed-Ex Ground (best) or UPS. But Glen's advice is spot-on, and Savage may have a preferred method, but do the box thing in any event.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I've had to ship my rifle back to Remington twice. Go to your local UPS store and have them box it for you. It's realitively cheap and they do a good job packing it so the gun is protected.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

UPS will ship a firearm but the business that goes by the name "UPS Store" will not.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Our great state of Illinois, we have to ship through a ffl even though it would go back to Savage. I sent one to Savage before, all I had to do is goto ups and send it. It returned to me from Savage in the garage. That was simple and it (rifle) shot no one on the way there or the way back. But everything we do now must go through a ffl. URRGGHHH!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll pack it in an unmarked box and ship it. I'll talk with savage again on the shipping label.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Shipping box trick #1.

Most, but not all, rifle boxes can be disassembled and turned inside out.

No printing on the box telling somebody, "steal me".........works good.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

acloco wrote:Shipping box trick #1.

Most, but not all, rifle boxes can be disassembled and turned inside out.

No printing on the box telling somebody, "steal me".........works good.
Nice info
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

I shipped a rifle Fedex and it cost me 122.89 because of there rules of overnight shipping the sent one UPS ground in a unmaked box with them knowing it was a rifle had to leave it open in case they wanted to inspect and a sticker that said machine parts even they knew it was a rifle and paid 28.58 quite the difference.
Semper Fi
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

NESHOOTER wrote:I shipped a rifle Fedex and it cost me 122.89 because of there rules of overnight shipping the sent one UPS ground in a unmaked box with them knowing it was a rifle had to leave it open in case they wanted to inspect and a sticker that said machine parts even they knew it was a rifle and paid 28.58 quite the difference.

I would call fed ex customer service and ask for a refund on the $122 package. Just because one of THEIR employees does not know THEIR shipping policy, should not equate YOU paying for the education and misinformation.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I think the key word here is Fed-Ex GROUND, and not Overnight Air Service. Huge difference in price.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

I have shipped many rifles and one handgun for rebarrel jobs. I do the following:

If possible only ship the barrelled action, if you have to ship everything take the action out of the stock.
Wrap the entire barrelled action in plastic shrink type wrap, remove the bolt (bolt guns - absolutely no doubt as to unloaded condition - most repair shops prefer this) and secure the bolt to the barreled action with shrink wrap or tape.
Wrap both barrelled action and stock separately in plastic bubble wrap.
Put in a well secured heavy duty cardboard box - it probably won't look much like a rifle because of its shorter length.
Address the box to an address that does not appear firearm related - for example use Repair Dept., Stevens-Savage Inc. instead of Savage Arms, of course use the proper address. Ship the rifle in a plain non-descript box.
Ship the fastest practical way, you have overnight($$$$$$), next day($$$), second day($$) and ground($). Looking at tracking info for ground you can see numerous transfer points each one has a potential for loss.
Record all serial numbers, document condition, insure adequately, and get a tracking number.
The UPS stores won't accept firearms. I prefer Fed Ex. I use ground for most of my work as it will get there the next day, about a 275 mile trip, with only one transfer - I take my package directly to the shipping terminal. If it is long cross country trip I use next day or second day. As I remember the handgun needed to to shipped next day.